Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan (Woody 86) and Me went out to Griggs today at about 3PM till just a while ago. Good day bite was there below and past the spillway. Parked down by Frisbee Golf (Snotty Punks) Fish from the bank right there for a while Caught Smallies and A SUNFISH on my Bitsy Bug Jig with trailer he smacked it too. I thought it was a real small bass until I got him close. My Jig was half the size of him. Just totally caught me off guard. Dan got some smallies also.

We had are best on Green I was using a bitsty bug 1/4 in Bluegill with a Zoom Chunk Green Pumpkin Swimming Chunk.

Dan was using a Green Pumpkin but did good on a Green Pumpkin Shaky Head.

So if any one heads to Griggs they seem to be hitting on Green variations real good. Tried topwater nothing Black and Red spinner bait with a colorado blade got one.

For the most part Bitsy Bugs in Green Variations did good. Went up above the dam and pitched around the Marina nothing then went down the road to where there is a cliff area was alright.

So good day of fishing going to try to get out to Griggs soon again.

Oooh yeah anyone else ever had them frisbee golfers talk crap to you they did to us.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really what did they say? there are some weird ppl down there.
Weird and the word for it. We where walking down the path and they where making remarks look at theese idots. One called me a ******* which I am ;)

Pretty sure one tried to hit us intionaly with his frisbee cause we where no where near any hole.

Just them snotty college kids making remarks. ******** idiots blah blah blah.

Next one that tries to hit me Im going to stick my MH E Glass up his rear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
"they where making remarks look at theese idots"

Let's see... You are trying to outsmart another living creature, and they are throwing plastic discs at metal poles.

Really now... who looks more like an idiot :)

I've been fishing that stretch of river for twenty years. Back before the golf course was built, and before the no trespassing signs were put up a few years ago at the condos just to the south. One day I was walking just inside the tree line at the bottom of the hill behind the condos because one of the residents was bank fishing just downstream of where I was. I didn't think it polite to tromp through the water at his fishing spot. Another one of the residents confronted me about it, and I told him the reason for doing so. After a tense few minutes of conversation, he was adamant about me staying in the river and not to come up on the property. On a legal basis, he was correct.
However, a week or so later, another bank fisherman, also a resident, complained to me about walking in the water where he was fishing. I told him to bring it up at the next condo association meeting, and to allow an easement just inside the tree line. The signs haven't changed.
I personally know several residents of the complex that also fish and they try to tell me that it will be ok to walk the tree line, that they are giving me permission. I don't think the police would agree if they were called. I digress though...
So anyway, a lack of tolerance of any kind for us anglers backfired. But as I walk the water every time I go there, I know I'm legal and within my rights.
About the Frisbee players, just ignore them. You are again within your rights when you are fishing. You'll find loudmouths everywhere you go. If they see that they are having no effect on you, they will give up. Remember, they are acting like children, so treat them as such.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah there was a couple of people out wading today. I would if I had on my trunks and stuff. I would love to be on the other side. Under this trees by the grass Smallies and some big ones were getting some air time. Dan and me looked in disgust cause we werent over there. But we where both in our work clothes.

then as we where walking back to the car. There was people that launched a Canoe and Yak where we were. Fishing that spot we should have been.

Still had a good day. That sunfish smacking my Bitsy Bug really surpirsed me. I just laughed cause I have been fishing for some panfish on Panfish tubes and stuff this year and no luck. No throw on a bass jig bigger than they are and I catch one. The trailer I had on it was half the size of it. Had a nice fat belly on him. They were up there feasting on all the little baitfish.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
In Ohio people own the river bottom to the middle of the river. Legally you can not wade the river on private property since you are touching their land. They also could remove all the rocks, as long as they are not using mechanized tools, out to the middle and build a rock house with them. I've seen where people collected rocks in a wheelbarrow and built a rock wall side around the lower part of their house with them. This was in a nice hole my friend has seen a 3' pike attached to a stringer. My computer crashed or I'd post pics. I've also seen people who clear cut all the trees in their backyard down to the river to have a view. Joe Hummer Driver did this (no joke I found the tool's house)as well alter a stream inlet to the Scioto(Bobcat, major mess). I'm sure some of you have seen this, he also has a very steep stream leading down to a small pond he built. 5+ years later and that area is still a complete muddy mess for a while after it rains (covering smallies spawning sites and filling their gills with particulate matter). Very little vegetation regrowth down by the river. This is not the way the laws are written in most other states. I contacted Ohio DNR, Ohio EPA, Columbus Division of water, city of Dublin (who had zero clue) and even the one and only state geologist who reports directly to the governor on this. Well I gotta go teach about the "drinkable drop" to middle schoolers. Friday we're seining and taking water sample at Highbanks to test for water quality.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
The areas below the dam, on both sides, have the heaviest honeysuckle infestation I know of anywhere. It is a dense thicket like something out of Lord of the Rings, no daylight gets to the ground.

That open bottom land area up closer to the dam used to be a campground. There's a 1995 planning document that suggests developing a "historical canoe trail" between there and downtown, with a livery renting canoes - but it never happened.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Vegitation was real thick thing that made me mad. Was the last spot we went to before we moved above the dam. Theres a little eppy.

There was about 4 Neon Grubs laying on the ground. and some line. Green Pink and to Chartruese ones. In perfect condition through them in my tackle bag sure Ill find some use for them. Also about 10 yards of 10lb test. I picked up through it away.

I understand why people don't like posting their honey holes. I wish people werent to lazy to pick up their own trash.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why cant people just worry about what they are doing insted of what evryone else is doing

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I never have had them say anything to me(that would last about 3 seconds) but one time my Son and I were fishing a hole and had a big rock come flying in the water, I yelled that there was people down here and they apoligized, it scared me more than make me mad because I kept thinking what if it had hit one of us(again more a brick than a rock) but I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a honest mistake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts