close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Griggs, O'Shay, and the Scioto will flood!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CShaver8, Aug 22, 2007.

1. According to the Dam Manager for Griggs Reservoir, they are going to open the flood gates from Bucyrus and flood the Scioto River to help the flood in Bucyrus. They are expecting unsafe boating conditions this week. The gates are supossed to open tommorrow.

The BASS Jr. Elite Series tourny scheduled on Griggs is going to be moved to Alum Creek.

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

This has to be a first, although the origin of the addiontial flood water has me a bit perplexed: I thought Oshay was the last major dam on the Scioto :confused: I guess there is another dam on one of the feeders to the Scioto?

At any rate this has me major P.O'd..I was looking foreward to a weekend of excellent conditions (and fish)...But if this is true all that goes out the window :mad:

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Well, maybe you should wait until Saturday and check the gauges. Ya never know...............................according to some.........ya just never know.

CG

4. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Does anyone know if these types of conditions can have an adverse affect on this year's spawn? I mean, can those hatchlings find a hiding place or do they generally get swept down river. That would be a shame as it seems we had a great hatch in all of the streams this year.

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Yea, I just google earthed the Scioto way up north and man, I don't see anything that looks like a dam on any of it's feeders. Near as I can tell Bucyrus isn't even located in the Scioto watershed. If that is the case I think it would be impossible for flood water from Bucyrus to reach the Scioto.

6. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

i used to live in bucyrus and the river that runs thru it is the sandusky river and that flows north thru tiffin fremont and into the bay so how is opening the flood gates in columbus gonna help bucyrus?

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Me 2, the rivers from Buycrus flow the other way, Scioto only goes as north as Marion then turns due east, I would 2nd it would be impossible fro buycrus to affect the Scioto. I think there is a divide around Marion where north it flows to lake Erie, south to Ohio river, a little east though it flows to musking um but nothing from buycrus looks to flow to Columbus.

8. I'll be checking it out tomorrow after work. Stay tuned.

9. Hey guys...don't shoot the messenger here....I wa sonly relaying what I have been told to give you guys a heads up.

That being said, I was at Griggs today and the water levels were up a bit, but there was a ton of floaitng debris to navigate around.

10. I was at Griggs today too, starting out sitting at the dock waiting out those thunderstorms. With the exception of two big bunches of stuff that seemed to be flushed out of feeder creeks, it didn't seem too bad to me. By 4pm most of the mess was gone, and the inflowing feeders were much, much slower.

That said, I boated 7 LM bass, but not a single one over 12 inches...

Ah well, it was a good day on the water once the lightning stopped...

chip

11. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i live about 10 min south of marion and the sci is way up here. we have a little spillway here and the water is flowing almost even on both sides. it's close to being out of banks. it's funny because last weekend all you could see were rocks and a fewsmall pools holding water now it would be kind of hard to fish. hopefully this will change the bite, i went out for a few hours last saturday and caught one dink channel on a white twister tail. i'm tinking all those fish will be moving up stream so hopefully it will be fishable by saturday.

12. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

The one on 203 right?

13. I'll be waiting with baited breath to see how any water from Bucyrus is going to make it into the Scioto river.
    Completely different watershed, not to mention that water from Bucyrus flows north.
    It's more than slightly irresponsible to post such a thing and claim the Griggs dam manager told you. He absolutely did not.

14. Not only is it a different watershed, there aren't any flood gates north of oshay on the scioto.

15. sorry guys...only relaying some info to try and help you guys out.

16. StuckAtHome is 100% right. The rivers divide just to the north of Marion. Everything south of that point flow to the Ohio River. Everything north of that point flow to lake Erie. There are no flood gates or no way of dumping water from one river to the other. I think oshay are the first flood gates on the river. There are a couple of spillways low head dams or what ever you like to call them starting in Prospect. I'm sure the water level will be up beacuse we got a lot of rain in Marion the past few days.

LoweBoat

17. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

The Little Scioto comes south out of Bucyrus along St. Rt. 4. It flows into the Scioto at St. Rt. 739 in the town of Green Camp, southwest of Marion.The Little is not far from the Sandusky as they both come out of Bucyrus. The Sandusky goes southwest for a while before turning towards the lake. I'm kind of a map freak.

18. High water conditions at Delaware Reservoir are a possibility. The Olentangy River headwaters are in Galion, just southeast of Bucyrus. I think Galion got hit pretty hard too.

19. StuckAtHome

I'll have to look that up Mr. Basskisser, there must be a valley in the divide between bucyrus that lets it run south, most rivers around there and north of there flow to Erie, interesting.
    Mike

20. StuckAtHome

Right on the money Mr. Basskisser. Your right only problem with the original post is the L. Scioto doesn't carry enough water even at flood stage to effect O'Shaun or griggs to any degree, no impoundments on it, just a small feeder creek.
    Mike