Griggs monday morning

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pigsticker, May 28, 2007.

1. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I went carping this morning at Griggs after chumming up the area with 2 cans of corn yesterday. This is the first time i've ever used corn. I always use doughballs. I wasn't too impressed with the results. I got a 13lb carp within the first 45 mins and that was the only bite I got for 3 1/2 hours. It does hold the distinction of being my biggest fish of the year so far though. She sure was a battle on 6lb mono, it took forever. I think i'll go back tonight and see if my total of 3 cans of corn now have attracted any more biting fish.
    [​IMG]

2. Pigsticker

Got 1 more tonight. About 6-7lbs.

3. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

4. I saw a MONSTER Carp cruising up North at O'shaugnessy while Bass fishing...easily the biggest I have ever seen. I haven't been carp fishing in a while I need to do that again sometime.

Nice catch!

5. Pigsticker, the carp are getting ready to spawn any day now, many probably are already. It will be a few weeks until they are really cranking again.

Jake

6. Pigsticker

Thanks BFN. That may explain how I only got 3 bites and 2 fish in over 6 hours of fishing. I'll wait awhile and hit them with the old faithful RyeKrisp or Wheaties doughball doctored with some Vanilla extract.

7. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

keep up the good work pigsticker:p

8. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Anyone want to share a good dough bait? want to take my 10 year old boy and my 8 year old girl across the street to blacklick creek for some carp action, got a nice deep clear pool with sandy bottom with carp everywhere, something the gills might leave alone would be good. Will catfish dough bait work on carp?

9. Pigsticker

You can use Wheaties. Just empty half of them out of the bag and then add just a little river water and crush them up into dough. Keep adding the water till its just right. Then plop the doughball out in the sun and it'll toughen up even more. You can spice it up with some strawberry jam, vanilla, anise, strawberry jello mix. I like RyKrisp crackers and vanilla extract. The crackers really harden up so well that you can bounce them off of the ground like a ball. Make sure and just add the dough around the shank of the hook and leave a little bit of the hook point exposed or it'll be really tough to hook them.

10. Wheaties is a killer. I haven't fished for carp since I was a kid, but Wheaties out-fished anything else I have ever tried and had the biggest carp hook ups, too. And it's so easy to transport. I usually just grabbed a handful, dipped my fist in the water, crunched them up and kneaded them into my desired consistency. If it was too wet, I'd squeeze it and let it air out for a couple of minutes or add more cereal. Great carp bait. My father kept the breakfast of champions in his SUV.

11. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

I took a walk by the Scioto at lunch today and saw about 100 carp along the wall between Town and Broad St. They were all over the place.

12. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

try bread pinched onto a hook with nothing else - you'll get results

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

those are AK's babies ....who's babysitting them these days??
    may need to hit em up with some bow action!% :p

14. Hey Pig Sticker, I always throw out a couple of handfulls of corn while I'm fishing and do really well. I hope that helps!

15. My cousin runs a cat fishing guide service in St. Louis and his bait of choice for channels is raw hamburger mixed with Limburger cheese and just enough Wheaties to hold it all together. He mixes it together and then puts it in the freezer for a few minutes and it really firms up. Use it on a dough bait hook and it stays quite well. I went fishing with him and the channels would smash that stuff as soon as it hit the water. When I came home I took a buddy fishin and thought I had the greatest secret channel bait of all time except all I have ever caught on it since is carp. I have tried this many times since being shown and I always get carp on it and every once in a while a channel. Good luck, hope it works out for ya. If any one ever goes out to St. Louis to go cattin and uses Norton Expeditions as your guide, don't tell David you heard his secret from me, lol!!!

16. StuckAtHome

Do you guys prefer a small treble or a single hook? I have some small circle hooks, think dough would stay on it?

17. Pigsticker

Always a single hook.

18. Circle hooks dont work well for carp in my experience. A carp feeds by sucking in then blowing out. A single hook with an in-turned eye will catch in their mouth when they try to blow the bait out while a circle hook will just get blown out. The crazy run you get from carp is usually when they blow the bait out and the point catches in their mouth. They aren't like a channel cat where they pick the bait up and go. I personally like to use 2x strong nymph hooks in size 4 or 6. You can find them at Gander Mt. in the fly fishing area or Mad River Outfitters on Bethel Rd. I usually just pick up packs of 25 from Cabelas when I am there.

Jake

19. StuckAtHome

thanks. Made my own dough bait from what I had around, went to creek this morning pushing stroller with 1 year old girl and her toys( where I fish its like a lawn with bench and shade, kids love it). Tried a small trebel, with a slip sinker, very light, then a float set 18" deeper than the water. About 10 minutes in, SOMETHING grabbed it, must have hooked itself, then booked 15 feet to a HUGE tree snag in about 6 feet of water(deepest hole in Blacklick for a ways) long story short, broke off, lost the rig, didn't bring any other stuff so we went home. Now I need to perfect the rig with single hook!

20. no kidding, good time for carp is over now, they dont see backets full of corn coming from the sky...