Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ventured out to Griggs last night with my buddy... Caught 1 nice white crappie, lost another before getting him to shore... in about 8-10 feet of water with a minnow 2 feet under slip bobber... My buddy caught a nice gill and had a few bites... Finished with a small shovelhead... Crappie are still a little finicky, not real committed, but with sunshine coming back this weekend I expect it to really turn on next week...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where on Griggs are you fishing. I live close to there but hard to find any place to get down to the water. There is an access road by Hayden run bridge but and also down by the spill way but that is about all i know. Can you offer up any information?

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
I was on Griggs Saturday evening. It was high and muddy then, but once we found the shad we caught fish.

They had a HUGE regatta race goin on, and we were the only boat on the water. The police had us idle all the way to the high wall, hugging the east bank. Had some wanker on a mega phone yellin "POWER BOAT POWER BOAT, YOU'RE IN THE COURSE", when we were every bit of 30 yards from the outside lane. My reply was "dude, any closer to shore and I'll be in your lap".

Then of course that prompted a few event attendees on the shore to start yellin at us to "get off the water".

The police were cool though, and the bite wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've been out there on regatta days and had the people yelling at me and telling me on the mega phone to get out. It's pretty comical. I had already talked to the cop under the bridge, he said the same thing-hug the east shore. The cop had been real nice, and we talked about fishing for awhile. Then a couple of "regatta heroes" had to try and tell me I had no right to be on the water.

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Yeah same here man. They (regatta heros) act like it's private property. I've ALWAYS shown non-power boaters courtesy on that river...whether they're training, racing, or just out enjoying themselves. I always steer clear of them and I'm very careful with my wake.

Just an overzealous guy with a bullhorn making him feel important I guess. If I were in the course or impeding the race in some way, I wouldn't gripe. I was as far away from the course as possible without beaching myself, and BOY did I come close a few times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jighead... I fish the bank on the east side at Griggs Park... I live just a few blocks up the hill on "The River Ridge", so it's easy for me to frequent for just a half hour or so...

Shake... I wish I'd have been with you when you made that "in your lap" comment... I would've wet myself.

One afternoon, the OSU ladies team literally rowed over my bobber when I was bank fishing there. I swore that I was going to bring my binoculars with me the next time. When they give me that "what are you lookin' at?" stare as the row 10 feet away from me, I'll make them feel real uncomfortable by looking at them through the binoculars... That ought to make them want to stay closer to the middle, huh?

Fish on fellows...
Spin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unless You Are Looking For A Good Challenge, I Would Find Other Water To Fish. The Water There Will Take At Least Another 2 Weeks Before It Starts Clearing Up Again. I Fish The Tuesday Evening Bass Tourneys There, And Crappie Fish When They Are On A Good Bite.water Temp Last Night Was Mid 60's, So It's About Right, Just Needs To Clear Up Some. 3 Bass Came In For 6 Boats, I Can't Imagine Crappie Fishing Is Much Better. As Far As Bank Fishing Goes, If You Can Get To Them, Around The Docks Just North Of Fisher Road Bridge Usually Holds Good #'s Of Crappie.
Jet Skiers Can Also Be Very Bothersome. We've Had Them Purposly Come Very Close To Us And Spray Us With Water, Them Cause Confrontations If You Say Anything.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nitrorider your not kidding, that river water needs to clear. I don't fish griggs much anymore, O'shay is much closer to home. Over the weekend it was chocolate milk color, today it has cleared up to coffee with creamer color. It's a shame because before that rain last week it was perfect. I had a very slow weekend on the water crappie fishing. The good side of it is that we had the whole lake to ourselves.

Spinfisher that's not the river ridge area, that's the "Golden Ghetto". I grew up on Mountview.

Shakedown, do you have a lowe FM165?

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
If jetskiers bother you, report em. They aren't allowed on Griggs or Oshay!!

We do occasionally have a wakeboarder get close to us though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Like To Fish Griggs Of Course When Its Calm And Clear. Ive Got A Buddy Who Lives There Off Of West Case. Ive Caught Quite A Few Gill Out Of There Last Year. Ya Ever Wanna Go Let Me Know

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll second Nitro-Rider. I was on Griggs Sunday, O'Shay yesterday. Water clarity to about 2 inches (yes, inches). Couldn't manage a bite with four hours on each lake. Water temps at O'Shay yesterday ranged from 61-65...

·
Registered
340 Posts
There Ya Go, Braggin Again, Lol. Took Our $ 3 Weeks In A Row. You're Gonna Have To Let Me Know Where You Are Tying Them Fish Up So Someone Else Can Get In On The Action.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Spinfisher that's not the river ridge area, that's the "Golden Ghetto". I grew up on Mountview.
Ahhh the Golden Ghetto..haven't heard those words in a while, takes me back. I grew up on the last block of Cranford, when that block was infested with trouble. Nowadays that is actually a nice area to live, now that the Scruby's, Ropp's, Ackermann's :p :D (to name just a few..lol) have cleaned up/moved out.

Also I think that area was originally named "River Ridge" back in the 50's, but the name never stuck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts