Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Had a nice evening session below Griggs dam last night. I met putty out there and he gave me some helpful tips on bait choices for the smallies in there. I waded for two and a half hours, never once did I stop moving and I covered a good amount of water on foot. The first hour of fishing was uneventful, but as soon as I got into deeper water, I got into some fish. I ended the day with about 4 smallies, 3 white bass, and a catfish. Everything today was small, but those little fish could sure put up a fight! My first fish was caught on a three inch grub, and everything after that came on a gold panther martin spinner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey there, I think I waded right past you last night. I was wearing a blue backpack with a bright boga float hanging off it. It was pretty crowded down there yesterday, I think everyone had the same idea after work haha. I'm pretty sure what you got into down there were actually hybrid striped bass (wipers). That area has a bunch of those smaller ones and when you get into a school of them they go nuts. Last week I caught two on one cast, one on the front treble of my lipless crank and the other on the back treble. Anyway, that stretch is one of the best in the area, but I think it was just pressured a bit too much yesterday to get the action it can usually provide. I only ended up with 4 smallies, but a couple nice 13" and 14" ones. 3 came on a big green pumpkin tube and the other on a shad rap. If you want to get through the smaller fish the big green pumpkin tube is the way to go. I fished that area for years with smaller cranks and spinners and always caught tons, but nothing big. Once I started learning to drift larger lures with a slower presentation, BAM, the hogs come out. Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Had a nice evening session below Griggs dam last night. I met putty out there and he gave me some helpful tips on bait choices for the smallies in there. I waded for two and a half hours, never once did I stop moving and I covered a good amount of water on foot. The first hour of fishing was uneventful, but as soon as I got into deeper water, I got into some fish. I ended the day with about 4 smallies, 3 white bass, and a catfish. Everything today was small, but those little fish could sure put up a fight! My first fish was caught on a three inch grub, and everything after that came on a gold panther martin spinner.

Creek Fishing for Bass Below Griggs Dam 8/8/13 - YouTube
It was great meeting you, Michael. You were moving too fast for me. I need to get a backpack tackle box, so I can be as mobile. Also good to hear you found some deep water. I gave up on spinners and such at Griggs due to losing them.

Hey there, I think I waded right past you last night. I was wearing a blue backpack with a bright boga float hanging off it.
I think you were the guy I was talking to just before you left....maybe.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, I think I waded right past you last night. I was wearing a blue backpack with a bright boga float hanging off it. It was pretty crowded down there yesterday, I think everyone had the same idea after work haha. I'm pretty sure what you got into down there were actually hybrid striped bass (wipers). That area has a bunch of those smaller ones and when you get into a school of them they go nuts. Last week I caught two on one cast, one on the front treble of my lipless crank and the other on the back treble. Anyway, that stretch is one of the best in the area, but I think it was just pressured a bit too much yesterday to get the action it can usually provide. I only ended up with 4 smallies, but a couple nice 13" and 14" ones. 3 came on a big green pumpkin tube and the other on a shad rap. If you want to get through the smaller fish the big green pumpkin tube is the way to go. I fished that area for years with smaller cranks and spinners and always caught tons, but nothing big. Once I started learning to drift larger lures with a slower presentation, BAM, the hogs come out. Good luck and good fishing.
Hmm yeah I probably saw you, I was the only guy with a big camera on his head haha. It was pretty crowded yesterday, funny, everyone went there as they got off work and I went after I dropped my girlfriend off where she works. Ah so they're hybrids huh? I caught a bunch when I was back in Philly, but they were all 3-10 lbs in the river I used to fish. Hmm larger lures, makes sense to me, I'll have to try that next time I go down there. When you say big tubes, you mean like 3.5-4 inches? Whats the biggest hog you've caught down there?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was great meeting you, Michael. You were moving too fast for me. I need to get a backpack tackle box, so I can be as mobile. Also good to hear you found some deep water. I gave up on spinners and such at Griggs due to losing them.
Great meeting you too Charles, hopefully you make it out to the pond tonight and we can try to find some bigger bass! Yeah the backpack is great for shore fishing. When I fish new places, I'm always on the move looking for productive areas, a lot of times when I fish, I'll never stop walking and cover tons of shoreline. My feet work just fine as a trolling motor haha.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm yeah I probably saw you, I was the only guy with a big camera on his head haha. It was pretty crowded yesterday, funny, everyone went there as they got off work and I went after I dropped my girlfriend off where she works. Ah so they're hybrids huh? I caught a bunch when I was back in Philly, but they were all 3-10 lbs in the river I used to fish. Hmm larger lures, makes sense to me, I'll have to try that next time I go down there. When you say big tubes, you mean like 3.5-4 inches? Whats the biggest hog you've caught down there?
In that particular stretch my biggest is 18.5, but I regularly pull out 15-16 inchers. Yeah, 4 inch venom tubes are hard to beat. I've started rigging them a little differently because tube jig heads annoy me to know end. Between having to re-tie every time a lure is done and having them buried in the rocks I'm over it. I use a 1/16 oz weighted gamakatsu worm hook. It's a swimbait hook without the little spring, so basically just a wide gap with a sheath of lead on it. Anyway, it lets you rig the tube weedless just as you would a plastic worm, and it also helps it sink to just the right level to bounce off the rocks and in those fish faces. As for the hybrids, for some reason that stretch always has the small ones. When I first got into them a few years ago I thought they were white bass like you did. The lower scioto has some really nice wipers in the spring and fall, and the stretch of river closer to Dublin does as well, but I've never found the big ones below griggs. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that's where the ODNR dumps the fresh stockers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice video as usual. I would have been down there last night if I wasn't on call for work this week. It looks like I need to do some wading next time I go. Last Sunday I caught one fish and pretty much spend all day on the bank below the Dam.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have landed a few nice sized Wipers above the dam, but nothing but the smaller ones below it.

My guess is the Environment and forage in the reservoir just allows them to get bigger.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1rod just curious, in the video you said you didn't want to get your rod wet.Why was that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like you were slaying them, Congrats, great video as well!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1rod just curious, in the video you said you didn't want to get your rod wet.Why was that?

Well I really should've said reel, I don't really care if the rod gets wet. If water gets in the reel, debris in the water can work its way into the gears and mess it up. Plus there's always the risk for rust.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well I really should've said reel, I don't really care if the rod gets wet. If water gets in the reel, debris in the water can work its way into the gears and mess it up. Plus there's always the risk for rust.
Water also breaks down grease that lubricates your reel. If your reel has fiber drag washers you probably wont want them wet either. Getting water in a reel is bad mojo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
204 Posts
Being a newbie I didn't know about water+ reel= trouble. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw you guys down there...i got in at the disc golf course for like a half hour...that spot was waist deep or below the other day but wednesday night it was almost chest deep!

·
Registered
146 Posts
interesting, my reels get wet all the time and never had an issue...just dont want to get real muddy water in there i guess or sand...oh god sand...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
interesting, my reels get wet all the time and never had an issue...just dont want to get real muddy water in there i guess or sand...oh god sand...
Well a little rain or normal wear shouldn't be a problem, but if they get dunked you may have a few issues down the road. Haha yeah sand... my worst enemy. The reel have had for 10 years worked flawlessly until I took it to the beach. Sand got in, broke a few parts, had to send it back to japan to get repaired, its good as new now though and ready for another 10 years of work :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts