close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Griggs, below spillway

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BassBlaster, May 22, 2007.

1. Went to griggs today just because it's close. I have never fished below the spillway. I caught 1 dink smallie. I could not believe the # of wade fisherman. Is this spot really good or are the fish just on? I only saw one guy catch a fish but I couldn't really tell what it was as he was on the other bank. Where are some good spots to fish in this area? I fished right below the spillway with no luck and then went down the road by the frizbe golf course with no luck either.

2. That spot isnt a really good spot and most of the fish will be small down there. Its an easy access spot so there is always people down there. All too often, people keep undersized fish down there which leads to a lack of any quality sized fish down there. Its a decent place to go waste an hour or so on smallies 12" and under but its not a "go-to" spot.

Jake

3. sycamore440

sycamore440 nothing like fishing

I tried fishing griggs the other night.. there was a baby racoon following my dog around...shoulda known it was gonna be a bad night... Got a few bites, but alot of lines got caught on the debree on the bottom.. trying to land a cat but no luck this trip...even tried a bobber and worms...just a few bluegills messing with my lines..gonna try indian lake this sunday.. and see whats happening.

4. Now i have a quick question about that area over there. Everyone talks about the fishing the scioto now where exactly is it at, and how do i get there to fish it? I have been curious to give it a try, but have no idea where it is wadable and what not.

5. Griggs spillway is right on Riverside Dr. between Lane Ave and Fishinger Rd. Below the dam you can wade, above the dam is a resevoir.

Jake

6. Yes there a quite a few smaller smallmouths down there but I have hooked into some nice ones in that area too. I always see people keeping what looks to be undersized fish but it's hard to tell for sure.

7. And the ODNR could care less about people keeping small fish, me and a buddy of mine talked to a couple guys from the ODNR below there one day and they were not bothered in the least about what people were doing, there response was that they stock the fish in there for people to catch and keep if they so desired.

8. Thats a piss poor attitude for the ODNR to have. They do stock saugeye but not any smallies, crappie, channels, etc. There are a few nice fish left down there but they are pretty smart, they have seen alot of tackle.

I personally would love to see the 15" limit thats on part of Big Darby extended to all of the central Ohio streams and rivers for smallies. I have been down at Griggs before and seen people with buckets full of fish no bigger than 8", including saugeye, smallies, LM, crappie, and bluegill. They aren't breaking any laws really but its sad to see those sized fish be kept.

Jake

9. Unfortunately, there is no legal minimum size on bass there...or most of the state for that matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I used to fish a stretch of the river a few years back where almost everytime I would get in there I would catch anywhere between 12-18 SM in about 3hrs or so of fishing and 1 or 2 of the fish would usually run anywhere from 16-18", I even got my personal best 19+" SM out of that stretch(everyone of them returned to the water after a short ooooh and aaaaaw session with me) then more and more people started to show up with stringers and buckets and in about a years time things were almost dead in there, I personally would like to see a size limit put on every species because you just cant depend on people to do the right thing.

11. Swick

Swick Priority #1 Fishing

I fished that area three times last week. Caught many smallies around 14 inches a ton around 12. I caught one smallie about 3 and 1/2 to 4 pounds. I also fished it yesterday. You may have seen me. I was wading on the other west side. It was very slow yesterday caught 2 or 3 dinks and one about 14 inches.

12. I probably did see you. There was a guy wading with a lady and another guy wading with a buddy and then a guy buy him self wading on the west side between the bank and a grassy island type area. I was fishing the east bank and had no luck at all.

13. Been there the last two days after class and was very frustrated. I only went here because of the easy access. I did manage one decent smallie yesterday around 13" and one dink today. Can anyone tell me any other places to park and fish the scioto above griggs?
    the dink
    [​IMG]

14. Swick

Swick Priority #1 Fishing

Yeah I have really struggled on that east side of the river. I may have caught four or five fish there. Most of the fish I have caught have come from closer to the dam on the west side, in fairly quick water. But as most people are saying, there does seem to be a lack in size. It's still fun though.