Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I caught another flathead. Just about the same size, different area.

The bass were slow tonight, only boated a few with not much size to them.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Another nice one! So you're obviously bass fishing - if you don't mind me asking, what were you throwing when those cats jumped on? Pretty cool 2 days in a row.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Two days in a row is strange, I caught a big channel last year in a hole below the dam on a jitterbug(boy that was a surprise) and so much fun considering it was at night and he had both those trebles buried, nice to be catching something though if the bass aint doing there part.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Interesting. The worm & the crank make a lot more sense than a jitterbug. That one blows my mind! Didn't know cats ever ate anything off the top.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Interesting. The worm & the crank make a lot more sense than a jitterbug. That one blows my mind! Didn't know cats ever ate anything off the top.
I think I actually get two from a bug(both after dark) a few years back I was out with a buddy and got a loop in my line from the reel, as I was in the middle of river with a small maglite in my mouth trying to get this loop from the spool something blew up my jitterbug that was floating downstream, I immediatly set the hook and had something large for maybe 10 seconds when the line broke(turns out the line knotted up there where all that loose line was tangled and broke there) I was hearbroken the rest of the wade as like you I didnt think a catfish would bust a topwater, so I thought I had just lost a very nice bass, last year my Son and I were fishing and really not doing all that well, I knew he was getting bored and I told him 1 more cast, I threw out close to a tree overhanging the water and that thing barely hit the water and he blew it up, again Im thinking nice bass, this this is pulling drag, I was shocked when it got closer and it was like a 6lb channel, after much wrestling to get both trebles from his jaw with my Son holding a light he swam away:) and it made me feel alot better about that fish I lost a couple years earlier, I think chances are it was a channel to..because if it was a bass it was a huge bass, so odds are it was a channel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i actually once had the same situation happen in reverse. i was catfishing with chicken liver on a deep drop off. you could see a pile of boulders coming almost to the surface and then i steep drop after that. anyways i got a good run but set the hook with nothing at the other end. assuming my bait was gone i started reeling up. as it got close i could see there was still a tatered piece of liver still on flapping on the hook. as it got up to the boulders i mentioned earlier. i huge lm hit it and went airborn. just over 5lbs. biggest suprise i think ive ever had lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts