Greenup dam

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by kyjake, Dec 28, 2007.

1. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

Was traveling past the dam yesterday afternoon and stopped by the dam for a look see.The water looked 10'-12' lower than my last visit about two weeks ago but still as muddy.Only one fishing and he was an old friend of mine who was throwing jigs and Kastmasters for over an hour with no hits.When a little of the silt falls out I will be back trying.
    Anyone getting anything out of the river now?
    Jake

2. I have been doing good this winter but I don't fish that far up the river.Ronnie

3. The hydrologic report has the river going down. It shouldn't take too much longer to clear up. I'll be watching the river here in Huntington and will make a trip to greenup as soon as the conditions get better.

4. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

Thanks PhattyB,
    I am 45 miles from the dam and it is quite a drive to go check it out.Would be nice if you posted the river condition and changes in Huntington as it wouldn't be much different below the dam.
    Jake

5. Checked it today. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Water is up about three feet. I could see into the boat dock about 6 feet off the bank and measured with my rod to be about a depth of 1 foot. Not muddy, but highly "stained".

It's fishable right now. Minnows on the bottom would get some fish. Jigging grubs and spoons in a few more days.

Looking at the hydrologic and weather, it's going to be a great weekend coming up if the forecasts hold true. High's in the mid-50's and river at normal pool :D

6. Went to Greenup this morning. They had the under rollers going and it just ruined fishing. High, Turbulent and muddy water. I hate driving all that way to find those conditions.

Fished anyway for about an hour, then thought about going over to the Kentucky side. I just decided it was getting too cold.

7. kyjake

kyjake Still learning

Hate that you didn't have a good trip.I plan on going down Sunday afternoon.
    Hope it clears a little by then.
    Jake