close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Greenlawn Rpt.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lucky Bass, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Waded Greenlawn today from 1-5. I slowly fished a 3" grub, of all colors, from the dam to downstream of the Greenlawn Ave. overpass. The only action I got was from what I presume was a snagged fish (probably a carp) from about 3yd offshore. I hooked into the fish and could do nothing but just hold the rod and he quickly came unbuttoned. Saw some other people come and go with no success. Basically I just got a lot of casting in......

Norm

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i thought i saw someone out there casting today.. i stopped by for about an hour or so with no luck.. did see some baitfish moving around on the edge of the current tho.. :)

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

What a great day to get out! Lol it was almost 60 and there was salt all over the roads...you know your in Ohio! and you know spring is coming! I did notice that something had hatched...not sure what..there were fly's everywhere. I snagged a black redhorse and thats about it, water temp is about 40*. Anyone know when the saugeye spawn? I've read anywhere from 39-49*. Haven't been catching them lately and im wondering if there spawning right now.....I know come April there on like fire.

4. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

FYI suageye do not spawn, they make runs upstream in early
    spring but it to feed on spawning baitfish not to spawn themselves.

5. Not to stir anything up, but studies have been done to find out if they really can spawn. I hear things a little differently. I think it was in infisherman mag a couple of years ago that the eggs they cary are sterile but there is a 10-20% that if a saugeye spawn with a sauger the eggs might hatch. I really don't know which side to take. I would be nice if they did. As far as greewnlawn goes, there is a lot of saugeyes in there each spring and I catch my fair share of them. When I go down to the ohio they catch a sauger a lot smaller than the saugeye. I think if you do a search in the forums you might find some info on this subject, I might of have been on the old site b/f the switch.
    Bryan

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I was under the impression that most saugeye go through all the motions of spawning....I.E. creating a nest, depositing eggs, etc. But there eggs are sterile (for the most part). I belive the saugeye do spawn, only the eggs they produce are sterile...not the fish themselves. I've caught eye's with eggs in them, I find it hard to belive a female full of eggs isnt driven to spawn.

7. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I stand corrected, they do not spawn successfully. ;)
    I too have heard that they ''go through the motions'' but are born
    sterile.

8. ACKLAC You took the words right out of my mouth.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

You are correct with the percentages. Saugeyes do go through their spawn.......and in certain conditions....10-15% of the eggs CAN hatch into fry and eventually become adults. For this to happen......there must be walleye or sauger present in the same water system, spawning at the same time. I have a whole envelope of saugeye reproduction data from the Ohio State University biology and fishery's department. Full of information on their reproductive traits. Sterile.......but not 100%. Very interesting read.

10. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Also there are true-unstocked saugeye in the scioto...According to KB. He told me (and I trust his word) that he used to catch saugeye's below Griggs back in the 70's "before anyone knew what they where". Now I know for a fact that there are pure sauger in the scioto..I've caught a number of them. And I belive there was a point in time when native Walleye were in there as well...and they still could be. Anyway there is a good chance a Sauger and a Saugeye have already spawned togeather. And there exists a chance that one of there offspring will back-cross with a pure sauger,and so on...making for one hell of a nasty gene pool....recordbreaker your "state record" (I bet it's fun saying that huh?) eye was chock full o' eggs wasn't she?

11. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I've also caught sauger in the Scioto

12. I wouldn't see why there isnt sauger in the Scioto. Its connects to the Ohio R. and the Ohio R. is stocked full with the bait stealing suckers!!!

Jake

13. female saugeyes produce eggs most of which are sterile, but every now and then some of those eggs could be fertilized not by another male saugeye(which are sterile) but by possibly a sauger or a walleye. But this is an extremely rare. but it is possible for a female to reproduce but only with a pure breed walleye or may be a sauger, mothernature does find a way but the probabilty is extremely low, considering the survival rates of the fry of any species.