Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOSR has organized litter cleanup events around Greenlawn Dam in years past, and I'm hoping to hold another event this year in connection with all the Earth Day stuff happening in April. I've described the situation before here: There is a lot of thrown trash/litter near the dam and there is a LOT of floated-in trash in the wooded floodplain south of the bridge. Everything from water bottles, to wheels and tires, to various sheets of plastic.

I'm trying to wrangle volunteers if I can get Columbus to spot a dumpster. I scouted the site this morning and yep there is much to gather. I'm putting this out to see if there is interest among the OGF membership. Yes? No? Maybe?

When I was there this morning I talked to a guy who was setting up to fish below the dam, he was maybe 50-ish years old and he said he had been fishing there since he was seven years old. He said back then there were a lot of smallmouth, but now it's mainly saugeye.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'll follow this thread. I work on Greenlawn ave right down the road from the dam. If it's on a day when I don't have school and I can get off work in time I might stop down.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm in also if I can make it. Will, of course know better by end of March.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShakeDown gave me permission to list OGF as a participating group. Here's the event listing on the Sierra Club site:

https://earthdaycolumbus.givepulse.com/event/39189-Scioto-River-Cleanup!

Also, I sent an inquiry to the parks department property manager asking if we can remove honeysuckle. We would need a chipper crew and I don't know if they could provide one.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might be tough to do a honeysuckle removal because the city has only one chipper crew dedicated to working with volunteer groups, and I'll have to see if I can book them for some particular date.

I've heard that there's a new guy in charge of that, so I'll have to look him up. The previous guy told me one problem they have is when the truck is full and they need to go unload (to somewhere on Alum Creek Drive) then the volunteers have nothing to do but wait and they lose people.

But if it's an OGF event, then hmm, what could a bunch of fishermen possibly do to pass the time at Greenlawn ...?

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All right, I have new information. Karl from the city is asking groups to book reservations for his crew (chipper truck, saws, etc) between April and October, on a first-come-first-served basis. Here is the link:

https://www.columbus.gov/recreation...lumbus-Ecological-Restoration-Program-(CERP)/

Now I'm really trolling among you. Shall we set up a date for an OGF event specifically to remove honeysuckle from Greenlawn? Or maybe also below Griggs on another date? Or does anyone have a wish list of other locations that are city property?

The April litter event still stands. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
My 2 cents.

Book a Separate event for Greenlawn. Greenlawn desperately needs it.

Griggs has gotten a ton of attention (Honeysuckle wise) from various local groups over the past 7 years. The results are amazing. And im sure they will continue well into the future. Personally i'd like to focus attention towards other spots on the River that have basically gone untouched.

Greenlawn hasn't got so much as a nip. And man-alive could that place use a good refreshing. Can you imagine driving Eastbound on Greenlawn and being able to see the entire River/Spillway as you approach the bridge? It would be awesome...

Not only that it would make that place 10x safer. There's so many places down there for unsavory characters to hide, removing all that Honeysuckle and making the river more visible from the Street / Fire Station would be a HUGE plus. Honestly I'd love to hit both Sides, but that might take another event.

Either way count me in for both.

Thanks FOSR.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've been working in Griggs since 2005.

Do you remember what Greenlawn was like before they cleaned it out? The honeysuckle had grown completely over Scioto Blvd. behind the concrete barrier, and they ripped it all out with a big front end loader. I have a big set of "before" pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depending on the date of the cleanup I would be interested in helping. The next two weekends are busy for me but I'm sure there will always be scheduling conflicts with any group that is willing to volunteer. Following this post awaiting the official date.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My girlfriend and I will be there. We participate in Kickbutt Columbus each year and it's very rewarding. This will also give me a chance to scout out some Carp fishing locations :D

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
bump-a-bump-a-bump this is coming up! I think I'll tip WBNS, maybe they'll make a story out of it.

Thanks to all of you for wanting to participate! I think it's really cool that different groups can get together like this.

Edited to add, I left a news tip on the WBNS site.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts