green vs. clear

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by boonecreek, Jan 15, 2008.

1. fishing creeks of the ohio. you,all opinion on green line. think it would be to visauble. stren , it bright green!

2. go clear or smoke in the creeks as they run clearer and usualy take less fishing pressure

3. no difference in line color, i dont believe that any fish is line shy, just presentation shy. use a tough but supple line doesnt matter if its bright pink

4. i think line color and type is very important if i went to mc ds and saw a Qpounder being drug across the parking lot by a winch cable i might not try to eat it:confused:

5. i went and got some stren dark green, its not as bright as the other i got. that first green i got is so bright ued think its glows in the dark.

6. I like the green lines. The waters around here dont really require stealthy fishing lines because the water is just not that clear. Now when I go to Lake Cumberland I think it might make a difference. This leads me to my next point. It's all about confidence. If you think it helps you, I would go for it.

7. I've used green Power Pro almost exclusively over the past year or so, I've caught a lot of fish. Then I see catfishers use that bright red line, cajun line, where supposedly the fish can't see red below a few feet of water? (what's up with that?) then we paint red heads on our lures, or red gill lines on the crank baits, or put red hooks on the lure, if you were a fish, would you be line wary, or red hook wary? :)
    I'd be looking out for hooks baby!
    But, the fish bite anyway.
    A guy I was talking to about how to paint spoons the other day made a great comment: "fish are stupid".
    In a crystal clear stream or lake, line and presentation and putting something that somewhat resembles what they eat would seem to make a difference, but then look at buzz baits, WHAT in the world goes flying through the water like a buzz bait that bass eat on a regular basis? ;)
    So, as Scott mentioned, what makes YOU feel good about what your doing, and catches fish, keep doing it.
    LMJ

8. u was on a roll ther lmj, you should have keep going. thank for all info u all.

9. Well thanks, BC, I'm cranked up today too, ;)
    White and hybrid bass seem to hit on a lot of similar baits, lead heads w/curly tails, spoons, cranks, bucktail jigs. I think we'd all agree we're trying to imitate a minnow, shad or skips.
    WHEN did you ever see a bright chartruese minnow in the Ohio river? ;)
    I think when they are schooled and into a bait ball, you can throw just about anything that somewhat resembles the bait attached to just about any color line and get a hit. I reserve the right to be wrong, but just an opinion. And now you can get camoflage line, just in case the trees behind you are creating a problem w/giving away your position.
    With solitary fish, in clear water, try to not stand out against the background, or create a shadow on the water you're fishing.
    Then again, why not come rushing in at 70MPH with your 200HP optimaxicle EverRude and throw that heavy honking anchor down, right past the nose of the feeding fish, let down your jig, bounce, bounce, and catch fish? Sometimese I think these things we are afraid will spook the fish actually wakes them up and gets them curious, what is that stupid looking thing? I think I'll bite it, it's irritating me and might just be food. If not I need to scare it off, it's in my territory!
    LMJ

10. Man, that makes so much sense....I never thought about that.

Speaking of the color chartuese, I heard a guy on TV the other day say that chartruese spinnerbaits imitate bluegill. I've been thinking about this....Bluegill don't have any chartruese color??? right?

11. your first thoughts are correct,but red line is translucent while your hard bodied lures aren't,which means in the light spectrum red does actually disappear with the line,but a solid object does not let the light through so it is actually seen,to what degree i cannot tell you, but this is a very often asked question.

12. I can see your point catdaddy, and Ohiou_98, it does occur to me there is a patch of chartruese or yellow on the belly of blue gill just below the gills.
    Now I have to ask, how many blue gill do you catch at the dam while fishing for skips w/yellow or chartruese tails, or wipers or white bass or sauger?
    I've had my grandson fishing w/nightcrawlers, which any blue gill or other sunfish would be swarming all over, but haven't seen one last year, or for years come to think of it, so how much water (it looks like a bluegill) does that hold? I'm not saying there's not bluegill nor sunfish in the river, but with ALL THAT BAIT (skips, shad and other minnows) in the Ohio River and tribs, are sunfish the primary food source for the predators. Or for skips too?
    I know there are much more experienced river guys out there, hope you're reading and will reply.
    This could become very educational.
    LMJ

13. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

LMJ, I always thought the same thing about buzzbaits until I came up on a frog on the bank one day several years back. When it jumped off the bank (sitting right at the water level) it used its back legs for several feet to skip across the water before going under. It immediately dawned on me that it sounded and looked like a buzzbait. Since then, I always try to immitate that scenario with a buzzbait. Now it still doesn't exactly answer the question why they bite 40 ft off the bank.

I'd tend to agree with the "fish are stupid" quote too, at least to the extent that the majority of fish are stupid or not as weary. In my opinion the immitation, location and presentation are paramount. If you get that right, you'll catch fish most of the time. Maybe in a tournament scenario you might get every advantage you can with line color, different lure colors, motion, etc. to get at a few of the more weary fish.

CW

14. Terry, I thought of bait fish skittering across the surface trying to evade a big bass, frogs hadn't come to mind.
    I think still the clearer the water, and non-schooling fish, like LM Bass, then the pickier they will be, because there's not as much competition for the food.
    In a school of ravenous predators, white bass, wipers, even stripers school as I've read reports from Lake Cumberland, etc., they would seem to be less discerning while gourging on a bait ball. And I've read how even with what appears to be hundreds of fish in a school on the sonar, they won't bite anything other than the bait, so go figure!
    Fish are stupid, but pretty durn unpredictable, I guess anything and everything you can do to increase your odds of getting a bite helps!
    LMJ

15. ok think the bead, bb or buckshot in rattle traps and different lures make a difference. will i just typed that ,my 5 year old grand girl just snock in and drank a whole glass of MOUNTIAN DEW and gramals at church

16. Here ya go

Attached Files:

17. Red v clear. This topic comes up often. As a lure manufacturer I have thought about the pros and cons of using red on lures. Personally I like red on lures. For one reason it looks good to me. For another it may have an affect on the fish. Some have said that the color red disappears the deeper the line or lure goes. I think this is probably true. A red snapper just looks like a grey fish until it gets into shallower water. Then the true colors appear. Others say that the color red similates blood and this suggests that the bait fish is injured which makes for an easy target. I think this may be true also. So as a lure manufacturer, I am going to make a lure that I have confidence in. If the color red disappears in deep water then that is a good thing. If it can be seen in shallow water then that is a good thing also. It's all about confidence. Thats why our crank baits have red hooks. The fish either see it and think its an easy meal or they can't see it and it just looks like a bait fish. Either way it's good.