Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and i hit the river late this afternoon for a quick wade..I knew, with the water the clearest its been all summer,and the cooler temps were having,that the fish bite would be ON.

I thought a swimbait would be appropriate so i tied on a 5" swimmin superfluke, made by zoom baits. Color was black/gray, with a 3/0 hook,1/8 ounce head.

We get to the first hole and wouldnt ya know it, a big ol' carp sucks this fluke right up! It was one heck of a fight for my light action rod and only 6# line! I actually like carp on a light rod/line quite a bit...it is perfect practice for learning to fight fish.

So we decide to just wade on through the zillions of carp and hit the next hole upriver(this is my favorite hole on this stretch)
We cast for a while, no luck,wade around,still no luck, i was getting kinda dissapointed, as the water looked so perfect today... I made my way on up to the other end and cast the fluke next to a huge downed tree on the bank, around 3 feet of water....reeling....reeling...reeling......BAM!!! Fish on! I couldnt tell right away what it was as it was swimming directly at me, barely any tension on the pole, i couldnt reel fast enough to keep up, as the fish approaches me, i thiught to myself "this fish is gonna turn as soon as it sees me..its either a decent fish or a pig....t gets closer and i see the line make a u-turn and say"oh crap,here we go"...the drag SCREAMS out and the fight is on!
Having my fishfighting skills already tuned in from the carp earlier, i played this fish out until finally i can bring her alongside me as i stand in the river....my prize was a 7pound 30" Northern Pike. just AWESOME!!
After all the excitement i still managed to land a nice 3# channell cat too!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Wow, those are some nice fish!! congratulations!!

·
Aquatic Assassin
45 Posts
Northerns are some mean motor scooters...that is a great fish for the river! Congrats on a sweet catch!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What river has the pike in it? I fish the Mad and the GMR...do they have pike too?
Both of those rivers hold pike..but i have more success on the GMR with pike..ive caught a couple on the mad as well but they never seem to get big...this pike was caught on the GMR

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Awesome fish for sure 9! Them pikes are some mean mammajammas for sure. Can't wait to get my first. I need to try doin some light gear carpin sometime to see what all the talk is about. LOL

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
717 Posts
I cannot find the Ohio fishgap study online anymore (it showed the Ohio distribution for each species of fish), but I clearly remember that it showed the pike being found in the GMR starting in the pool in above the Moraine pool and above. Though they are just as numerous in the Dayton area, most of the pike seem to be caught in the Troy and Sidney areas and above. The exact spawning areas are unknown but are most likely flood ditches and fields that flood in late February and March.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here's a link to the USGS Ohio Aquatic GAP Analysis, there was a draft GAP analysis that I liked better but the USGS removed it.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1385/pdf/Maps_of_predicted_fish_distributions.pdf
Thanks for the link, but I still cannot find the one that I used to look at on a frequent basis. The link you provided talks about predicted fish distribution. It would be interesting to know what they mean by predicted.

My old, deceased link had an index page where you could click on the name of the species and then it would take you to a map for that species. The collected specimens were shown as dots on the particular river or stream.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I still cannot find the one that I used to look at on a frequent basis. The link you provided talks about predicted fish distribution. It would be interesting to know what they mean by predicted.

My old, deceased link had an index page where you could click on the name of the species and then it would take you to a map for that species. The collected specimens were shown as dots on the particular river or stream.
The deceased link was a draft, I liked that link better too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts