close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great night for cats on the Maumee

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by phisherman, Aug 30, 2004.

1. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

I had the best night of my catfishin career on friday night. Managed a flatty that went around 35-40lbs, with a girth of 24" and a length of about 40". Biggest flatty to date, and definately most memorable as my buddy silverbullet and I fished from my canoe. I must give props to my bud silverbullet on a most excellent landing job with my "not big enough net." This fished managed to literally soak us as we tried to get him over the side of the canoe. We were still ill-prepared for catching the big one, no way to transport him to the baitshop, so we released him shortly after small gauwking session. What an amazing specimen. Not to go unmentioned was silverbullet's nice flatty and beauty of a channel that went about 28". A memorable night, that's for sure!

2. That sounds like a lot of fun. But I don't know that I would be crazy enough to try and land a big flattie in a canoe.:eek: It might be fun but I don't believe I would carry anything in the canoe that I did not mind parting with.;)

3. I bet a 40lb Flattie would be equal to a 74lb Thrust trolling motor in a canoe!

Great catch!! :)

4. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

That's my only watercraft, but in its defense you would be amazed how mobile and stealthy the old canoe can be. Its no fishing boat, but i've caught about every species the river can throw at me out of it, so far so good. Even now what I would consider the top predator in the river (flatty), it has not faultered. I can only pray that we get into some more. I was dam thankful I didn't have the dog with us that night, that I will admit... no offense Sam.