Great Neck "Midget Bolt Cutter"

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by Bub, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Bub

Bub

Anybody have a pair of these? Are they junk or pretty good quality for the price? Can't see spending 50 bucks on another piece of equipment that I might use a couple times a year! Thanks.

2. Coot

Coot It's all about the doin'

I see 18" Knipex bolt cutters on ebay in the $15-$20 range frequently.

They are worth the investment

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Well, if you use them once in your lifetime then you likely saved a musky's life. So, if you are interested in the survival of the fish you catch then yes, they are indeed a worthwhile investment!

CG

4. BITE-ME

BITE-ME Muskie Addict

Just bought some for $15 off Rollie & Helens website. They look like they will be able to do the trick on those 4X. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

5. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

nope, im with ya bub. ive used mine twice in my life and they are the cheapos and worked fine.{glad i had em though} heck if you could get knipex for the prices these guys are showing , then fine. i spent 20 on mine 7 yrs ago..

6. Paid about $40 for mine a few years back. "Like a hot knife through butter" on a 4/0. One-handed.

Consider that you may be alone, possibly under big pressure when you need that tool. Had to separate my brother's hand from a thrashing fish some time ago & it was a struggle w/a cheap cutter.

The blood you save may be your own....

7. Pike

Pike

Bub,

I purchased a cheap pair of small bolt cutters from Lowe's. I have had the pleasure of using them several times. They worked just fine. Only problem I have had with them is that they were made in China, but that is another issue.

Pike

8. Bub

Bub

Thanks for the input!

9. Bub, I bought the ones from Rollie & Hellens in 2006. I had to replace them this fall. The metal broke at the one of the pivot bolts. I replaced it with one from Lowes. I'd go that route, the one from R & H is pretty cheaply manufactured, but they did work many times over the past couple seasons. The metal was not fatigued from being in the elements, just a bad cast in the alloy.

10. I picked up a pair @ Harbor Freight, cheep! They will cut any hook – don’t know how they will hold up …

11. Bub

Bub

Sounds like Lowes is the place to go. I'll check ebay for one of those fantastic deals too. big b16, that's exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks again ya'll!