close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great Miami Float

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Jul 21, 2008.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I have never hit the GMR and after reading TC1's post in another thread I may give it a try. I have a couple questions:

1. On the Barefoot Canoe rental website it says the stretch of the GMR from rt. 41 to Tipp Elizabeth Rd. is "challenging" and "experience is needed." Why do they say that? What makes this stretch so challenging? I have experience with the yak, but want to focus on fishing, not paddling all day.

2. Would rt. 571 to Taylorsville Rd. be a worthy float fish-wise?

3. TC1, you mentioned a canoe rental on Ross Rd.? I don't see it on the map, anyone know the name?

Thanks!

2. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I can't speak for the trip from 571 down to Taylorsville because I have not done it, but not sure why they would call the trip from route 41 down to Tipp-Elizabeth Rd challenging. If the water was up I would be cautious and always look for strainers, but this stretch is not particularly difficult to navigate. Right now you may need to get out and drag across some shallow areas.

That said, I did not do that well on my 3-4 trips through this section. Lot's of good looking holes, but they never gave it up for me.

3. I agree w/ SConner, not challenging unless the water is way up. You'll have to get out and get your feet wet a couple of times during normal water levels. I've seen some spots that look fantastic, but never had much luck fishing it the two times I've floated it. I'd consider it more of a canoe trip than a fishing trip.

4. Hoghead

Hoghead FRIED FISH FEAR ME

Canoe rental on Ross Rd. is GreatMiami.net - some good smallie and saugeye/rock bass from 571 to Ross rd.

5. fshnteachr

Thanks for all the info!!

6. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

fshntchr,the "challenging " stretch is labled as such bcz of a couple hard turns in the river where the entire force of the river slams into a high claybank w/ sweepers just past the high bank. The backwash and conflicting currents make it very tough to maneuver.I would'nt want to do those w/ any volume and if you dump ,the sweepers could hang you up;read as drown. I take my drift boat when I float and it takes rapids and strong water well (made for that) but I drag it around those if the river is up more'n 300cfs.
    It can be a challenging river to fish but I do OK on it. It runs turbid from all the carp and farm runoff so flashy stuff works best as well as black and purple colors. Shad imitations are good bets as the river is loaded w/ them.3" is minimum size and up to 5"+ is good.
    Ross-taylorsville is good for the 1st half of the float but the last half is very shallow and not much in the way of good water as it goes through the reserve. You'lll se a lot of deer on that float...never seen so many as I did lastt ime I hit that,almost 40.
    Tipp elizabeth-571 does'nt have much good water, 'cept right after the put in.
    571-ross,the 1st half is a waste of time but the 2nd half is good as it gets deep.
    Everybody freaks out at the mention of it (talk of druggies,,homeless etc...I just don't see it,never had a problem and been fishing it for 25 yrs) but some of the best water is in downtown dayton.
    If ya want #'s hit the stillwater or lmr but if ya want a trophy hit the gmr.
    Drop me a pm if ya wanna hit it some time. I have tons of vacation time I have'nt taken yet and a wkday float is a good bet,TC1

7. "Everybody freaks out at the mention of it (talk of druggies,,homeless etc...I just don't see it,never had a problem"...........

I've never had a problem, either and never heard that mentioned. I can't imagine where they would come from unless it's just some kids from Tipp City.

I've made the float from 41 to Tipp-Elizabeth several times in canoes and a raft. It's a good stretch, but I would say you'd have to take your time in some spots to find the fish. You'll miss some good spots just drifting by. I've never had trouble navigating the currents, but I won't be found on the river when it's high. There used to be a spot where I had to walk it through as the vessel bottomed out, but I'm sure that's not the case when the water is up. That may be the spot TC1 mentioned that can get hairy.

I've really been wanting to take my jon boat through there, but there is no good place to put it in. The Fultons (who own most of the land on the East banks) could make some money if they built a launch ramp and charged a fee for access. Then again, nobody with a bigger boat would be interested as it gets too shallow. Just thinking out loud :)

8. Anyone know of an online map of the GMR with river miles listed?

I'm looking at doing a float from Tippecanoe Community Park to Taylorsville Dam...any idea on the mileage?

OK, not to totally hijack this thread, but.....
    I would REALLY like to find an overnight float on the GMR (place to camp?).

Thanks!

9. Rooster -

Have you ever considered asking the Kenworthys (motocross park) if you can camp on their property overnight? You'd have to put in way upstream somewhere to make a day of it, then maybe float down to Tipp-Elizabeth or Ross Rd in the morning.

10. I have canoed/kayaked from tippcity to Taylorville dam several times The fishing has always been better for me once I get past the 571 bridge and then to ross rd. that has always been the most productive area of my float trips. I have never gone from 41 and south but I would like to give it a try sometime. there are some tricky spots just north of 571 but if you have any experience in a canoe or kayak you should be fine. if you are unsure of you skill level wear a life jacket. but even if you do get dumped into the river it will be no more than chest deep and most is waist deep or less. have wanted to do an overnighter too but have never gotten aroung to it. there are some Island that you could probably sett up camp on and no one would even know you were there. it sure would be fun to try sometime!
    hope this helps

11. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Ive canoe fished both of those stretches, but im partial to the one from Rte 41 down to Tipp-Elizabeth Rd. I don't have the mileage on that, but i would budget a day for float fishing it. You can get some fishing in maybe 6 hours, but if it is your first trip in this spot, don't cut it close before dark.

I can think of a couple spots where it is swift and might present a problem. Further down, just above Tipp City, i lost an anchor, it was swift enough to wedge one in too good. On the stretch below Tipp, the bottom does seem to get siltier as you get closer to Taylorsville.

The conservancy district has maps that might give you a better idea on mileage:

http://www.miamiconservancy.org/resources/maps.asp

I've always been intrigued by Lost Creek which flows into the Miami near Tipp Elizabeth, it looks deep in spots around Casstown, but seems to dry up near Tipp.

My darn canoe hasn't seen water other than rainfall this year, i need to get out and fish instead of just reminiscing!

12. fshnteachr

Agsin, thanks for all the good info. I have several years of experience in my kayak and fishing but when I haven't been on a particular river and a canoe place lists it as challenging I had to ask you guys. I went up there today to scout, and of course due to the rain, the water was chocolate milk colored and running a bit fast. I didn't even put the boat in the water. I am so sick of rain this year.

13. Thanks for the link to the map! The one that I had did not have river miles listed.

It looks like Tippecanoe Park (RM 99.1) to Taylorsville Dam (RM 91.0) is 8.1 miles. That is just about what I look for in a days float/ fishing. Might even give it a try this weekend if the rain doesn't blow another weekend for the river.

Anyone ever launch at Tippecanoe Community Park, or Taylorsville Dam? I want to get a very early start, and it is about an hour drive for me. I just want to make sure that we will be able to park our shuttle vehicles at both site before say 5:30am on a Sunday. Thanks again!

14. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Rooster - Let us know how you do on this section (Tipp to Taylorsville). I have never tried it, but sounds promising!

15. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Please slow down. I'll help for the few in this thread if we do it PM. Troy to Taylorsville is alotta river, but it ain't that much.

Rooster, you got mail.

16. Kenworthys motorcross park is gone. Tipp Elisabeth to 571 has some great water. Just got to fish the rocks and the drop off's with a bobber minnow combo. We usually catch a lot of eyes around that area. 571 to Ross is a good trip plan on being on the water at least 8hrs.Usually have good luck around the island on 571 and then on right side of it just after the bridge. We usually catch a load of cats of the right side, due to the bank being muddy and the cat holes under the water.

Havent fished the ross road area in a while. For the longest time they always had no parking and no tresspassing signs up in that area. You can park at the Canoe rental. Its easy to put in. When the waters normal at 571 there is a creek that dumps into the GMR and the water right there is always clear and deep.

17. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Hey rooster,save y'self the float to taylorsville as from ross to there is not very good but for the 1st 1/2 mile,lots of shallow water and islands. Great sightseeing for wildlife but the closer to the dam you get the shallower it is. Past the dam used to good but the bridge construction silt @ rt 70 has screwed it up for about a mile+ down from there.Just below the dam to 70 is just OK,nothing special,best in the winter for saugeyes in the dam pool,TC1

18. midoh39

midoh39 member

My and my mom floated from 41 and paddle back up( not a good Idea). WE went past the tressle alot of fish activity but nothing doing. We caught 3 saugeye and 5 smallies all small and we lost some other fish. I dont get it some of this water looks perfect but just nothing there.