close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great gift!! My first bamboo!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by ohiotuber, Jun 10, 2005.

1. About 2 weeks ago, I got a call from a friend in Pa telling me to watch for a package (a little gift) the next week. Here's what he sent:
    1 vintage South Bend 291 7 1/2' 4 pc 6 wt split bamboo fly rod in very good shape. Mfg in the 1940s. After bragging this up, another friend who restores bamboo rods said to send it to him & a free complete restoration will be done. This guy & I are both Vietnam vets & were in basic @ Ft Benning together.
    I did fish the rod last weekend & hope to get some trout on the Clear Fork this weekend (IF the weather improves!) I had never cast bamboo before & the friend who gave it to me said it's tough. Sounds wierd, but within 15 minutes, I was shooting consistent 50' casts & it was effortless. BTW, I didn't have any 6 wt line,so I just used my 4wf SA Ultra III line. As well as it cast, I may just stick with the 4 wt line. I also took several gills, 3 between 9 & 9 1/2" & a 2 lb bass. Rod was real responsive...LOVE it! Friends kept telling me I'l be ruined for life & they were right. I had 3 other flyrods with me & none of them were out of the case...I just couldn't put the bamboo down.
    Mike

2. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog 'Tusc River Rat

inherited my dad's 1947 Monatgue split bamboo fly rod about 10 years ago-NOTHING COMPARES TO BAMBOO FOR DISTANCE AND ACTION !!!!
    'Rude Dog