Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday after work I was trying to scout some areas on a smaller creek for whatever might be hiding in there, hopefully some carp. I tied on an olive bugger size 10 and found a small hole with a little depth to it. I made a cast to the head of the pool and as soon as it hit the water a 6” smallie smashed it. I was pulling him in when 2 much larger smallies tried to have him for dinner. I didn’t expect to find good size smallmouth in this area but clearly I was wrong so I shuffled though the fly boxes for something a bit bigger. BINGO! Size 4 bunny leach! It was on now. Ended up pulling 15 smallies out of a few different holes with 6 fish being between 12”-16”.

On my way back I spotted a lone carp in a 20’ x 30’ shallow pool. I put on a size 8 stone fly nymph and after 4 off target casts I landed it 6” in front of his nose. I saw the gills flair and set the hook! He wasn’t the biggest carp, went 25”, but in such close quarters it was an amazing fight. I was real lucky to land this guy, had to work him out of the hole and into very shallow riffle section to land him. What a blast!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Pics !...seems like you had a nice outing and I noticed you use a non-slip mono loop for your flies....best knot to use.....lol.

Tite Lines !!
Ha! nice eye. I use the non-slip loop on everything but small nymphs and small dries. Easy and quick to tie and it adds a little action as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff man! healthy looking fish. Those small flows are quickly becoming my favorite.
Thanks, I was amazed at how chunky all the fish were, they must be putting on the feed bags before winter.

I have to remember to chuck something big in those smaller flows from now on, you never know what might be hiding in there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts