close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great Day Fishing With My Son

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, May 12, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

2. he'll thank you for that one day

3. 20 gills - that's a long attention span for a little guy - impressive - glad you took him dad

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

thats pretty good for a child that year.

5. Great job. Very important, passing it on. I took my two boys(ages 6 and 3)out last weekend and had a great time. What I loved about it was my 6 yr old Nick, helping his little brother Sammy (3) with how to watch the bobber, when to set the hook, and how to bait up. LOL. I was one proud Dad last Sunday. LOL. [​IMG]

6. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

My son caught a few last week. You can take your kids to Disney World and ask them a year later what rides they where on, and they won't remember. Or you can take your kids fishing and they will never forget that day with dad by the water. [​IMG]

7. WOW, I don't know why but I really like to see kids having fun fishing. The pictures of them usually show faces with big smiles and a feeling of joy.

My little boy grew up. We still very much enjoy fishing but it is different now that he is 35 and I am .....

I do have Grandsons though. The youngest is now 4+. We started 2 years ago and he liked it from the first time out. We only fished for 30 or 45 minutes and he got tired, wanted to go so we did. Nothing like Pharley's son. Man that is a lot of fishing for that age.

I have started using a hook that I'll just mention. It is a size 6 circle hook without any offset in the point. It works well for the young one. He has a natural tendency to reel in when the bobber goes under and not jerk to set the hook. Circle hooks are designed so the fish hooks itself so the perfect way to fish them is to just reel in when the bobber goes under. The other thing that is nice is it all but eliminates deep hooking the fish. The grandson got pretty upset when he saw the bluegill bleeding from a deep hook. When they do swallow the hook if you hold the fish firmly and pull the line straight out of their mouth you can hear a pop as the the hook comes out of the stomach. No apparent injury to the fish.

8. Check out my website for pictures of my daughter with her picture posted on the wall of Gander Mtn. She loves to fish and she is 6 1/2 now. But if she isn't catching fish, she gets bored and wants to go. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. Gotta love it though. One day last year at Alum off the dock there she caught 32 Bluegill. Naturally I didn't get anything. I wasn't fishing for them though. Excuses, excuses, excuses.................Keep up the good work with the kids man.

9. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Thanks Steve....
    We'll have to make it out this year. I have Wed-Thur-Fri off if you are ever able to go these days. Always up for some crappie, eyes, or bass.
    Rob