close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great day at Dana Point, CA

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by bkr43050, Jul 30, 2004.

1. I have not been on the site here in what seems ages. In addition to being unbelievably busy I did manage to squeeze in a day fishing with my boy on our recent trip to So Cal. We took a half day trip with Dana Point Sportfishing Charters. The season was prime for what they refer to as sand bass. The trip was 5 hour total with about 3 hours of fishing. I would guess that we landed 20-25 fish apiece in that short time. The action was incredible. The fish were stacked up just like we all dream about so many times. The size was nothing huge as far as salt water fishing goes but decent nevertheless. Most fish were in the 15 inch range with the occasional heavier brute. We kept 6 for a meal but returned the rest to the sea. The highlight of the day was when my eight year old boy hooked the largest sand bass taken on the boat. They had a big fish jackpot at stake and he missed winning the pot by a fraction to a fellow with a barracuda. His fish weighed in on the crew's scales at right on 6#.

I think my boy practically already had the $80-90 spent in his mind.:D I had a great time and at one point I decided to put the rod down and just enjoy watching my boy go at it.:)

I have considered similar types of trips on other beach vacations and talked myself out of it. After this experience I doubt I will turn the next one down.;)

Well now it is back to the grindstone for another week and then it is time to head north to Canada and create some more memories.:)

Attached Files:

2. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

Sounds like a great day. I went out on a head boat in Cali when I was sixteen and still remember what a great time it was.

3. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

When i was 18 i took a job on a 95 foot headboat out of Oceanside CA. Was a great time....Sand and Calico Bass are a blast...fly lining live anchovies...what a great time.

Mitch

4. catking

catking Banned

Couple things.Sounds as if you guys had a great time,and it sure is nice to see you posting again ;) THE CATKING !!!

5. My time to spend on the site is pretty limited lately so it does feel good to post again and see a lot of familiar names. I have been so busy lately that I have not gotten any fishing in. It will be nice to put in a whole week on a lake up in Canada. I will be sure to find some time upon my return to stop in.