close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great Dane: Good Dogs??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lg_mouth, Oct 13, 2005.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

I am currently waiting to see if Big Chessie will still have his lab pup to give away after the weekend, but I also have a chance at a 2 yr old Great Dane. I am new to dogs and really have no idea about them. I want a big dog, but he has to be good with children, I have a 3 year old daughter. I guess what I am asking is, has anyone had any experience with Danes. I have researched them on the web and they seem to be a good dog breed. Just let me know, pro or con, about Danes. Thanks OGF.

Lg_mouth

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't know anything about the danes,but my buddy toad(OGF)used to show them,so he can probably give you any info you want/need.i'm sure he'll reply when he gets online.

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

danes are great dogs, prone to hip problems and short lifespans though.

4. I had one growing up. Fawn with a black mask. He was the best. They're gentle giants.
    We had to be extra careful during deer season so he didn't end up gettin shot.
    Get yourself a front end loader for pooper-scooper.

5. I've never been around Danes but like any dog they can be gentle and love everything or very aggressive. It depends on how they are raised. Growing up I had a Beagle that hated little kids because of the way the neighbors treated it. They would throw things at it and they would carry her around by the neck. I hope everything works out for you.

6. I have had two grat danes and both were great. But as stated above, they both died very young.... 5-7 years. They are great guard dogs and are very intimidating, however they are probably on eof the most gentle and compassionate dogs I have even been exposed to. The only problem I ever had with them is that they do not realize they are as big as they are. They want to sit in your lap, and sleep in bed with you. Imagine a horse in your bed?!?!?

7. They are gentle giants but when they pass the gas, clear the room!

8. Danes are good dogs - my cousins have had them for years.

I would suggest spending some time with this particular dog sonce he is 2 years old tjust to make sure he reacts with your young child in an acceptable fashion.

9. I have to agree about clearing the room when they break wind. It is some of the most foul odor I have ever had to witness, unfortunatley.

Our second one was a beer hound... he loved Busch light. but when he got a hold of it, we all paid for it then next day.

10. LOL LOL LOL Funny thread. You guys have me in stiches. People up the street, when I was growing up had Danes and I can relate to the need for a front end loader lol Very well put! Oh ya, never got close enough to smell their offerings but I'll tell ya, I've got a Golden that will belch and fart with the best of them. lol

11. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

But you think that a dog that rivals the size of a pony is a good choice? Good dog or not, make sure you know what you are getting into first. You know, like all the additional vet bills, feeding that huge thing, cleaning up its 3 gallons of dung each trip outside, etc. It's best for you AND THE DOG. There is a reason you see lots of shelters devoted to a single large breed.

12. lol shuvl...very good points... start with a beagle and work your way up to a horse (Dane).. I have resisted getting a dog b/c it is a daily committment for 10-15 yrs - too busy. I can also vouch for the fact that Danes thibnk that they are lapdogs - superfriendly breed as well.

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Good dogs but rarely live to see past the age of 8 or 9 I was at a campground and they had a some sort of Great Dane club or association and I talked to some people and they said there great but die quick

14. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the danes heart is too small for the size of his body so they do not live as long,it's bad enough to lose your best friend after 12/14 years .7 or 8 would be harder to handle after a short period.

15. The Lab will be just as gentle, fart less (same as break wind? :D ) and make smaller piles. :)

16. You Cannot Beat Lab Dogs..smart And Very Very Gentle

17. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Same reason I don't have one. Sometimes I barely remember to feed my fish once a day. Also good reason why I don't have children.

18. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

...I have decided to pass on the Dane. Mostly due to the life expectancy. The dog is already 2 years old, so he has already spent nearly 25% of his life. I can't see getting my daughter attached to a dog that will die in just a few years. I will see what BigChessie says about the lab, then I will probably go with a Beagle or another Lab. Thanks for all the replies.

lg_mouth

19. Don't rule out a Golden Retriever. Labs are great but Goldens are terrific. Of course I'm rather biased. Only down side is the hair. You gotta keep up with their coat. We are winding down with ours as he has been diagnosed with lymphoma and is given six months max. Alex has been a great dog and we'll miss him a bunch. He's 12.