Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, 12 shooting Benelli Super Nova 12ga. with 3.5" 00 buck.

Click on below pic for short vid.

·
Registered
16,806 Posts
the video wont open for me
Did you click on the bigger picture? It worked for me and I don't think the kid will want to shoot that gun too often. It kicked him pretty good LOL.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was fine with it, that was the last of the 3.5" shells I had brought or he would have shot more of them. It was completely his choice, I would never force a hard kicker on a child, that is one of the best ways to sour them on shooting. He has shot since he was 5 or 6 and loves it.

Here he is just a few minutes after the 3.5 shooting regular 2 3/4 shells. Massive difference in recoil! The Benelli has the comfotech stock and it makes a large difference.

Click on the pic and it will take you to photobucket video

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
he shoots the 12 gauge better than i can. can barely handle the 12 gauge with just 2.5 birdshot in a semi auto and recoil pad. is he pulling the gun foward when he shoots?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is it easier for him to drop the gun to pump it? My arms got tiered just watching him take it up and down. But that may be the difference between big guys and young pups, I can hold the gun up all day long but moving it that much would ware me out.

·
Registered
16,806 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure on the pulling forward, he was just shooting to shoot, not aiming at anything, more for fun and speed than anything else. When he shoots at something his form is much better.

Probably is easier to pump by pulling it down, the gun has only had about 4-500 rounds through it so it is still kind of stiff and not broke in yet so it does take a bit of extra umph for him to work the slide.

Weird on the video links, they both play fine for me when I click on them. I will try to attach them differently this evening and see if it works that way.

Kind of funny, almost every time we go out he never wants to shoot the bigger stuff at first wanting to stay with .22's but after an hour or so is game for anything. His shotgun of choice is a rossi coach double barrel in 20ga which I think has more recoil than the Benelli. He will run through almost every shell we bring sometimes as much as 100+ in a day as well as other rifle/pistols. he will shoot my .44 mag pistol, .45 colt as well as other rifles up to 30/06 and .45/70 without hesitation and a huge smile on his face.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We have a big family camp every year at Halloween and we shoot a lot of clays. I let dad use my 870 and I always shoot my uncles old single shot 12 gauge. Extremely light and it kicks like a mule but I love it. Only get one shot but Ill take the first bird of the set every time. Easiest/quickest gun to point and shoot that I have ever used.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Single shot 12's are what soured me on shotgunning for awhile. Buggers beat you into submission! I am a big fan now of Limbsaver recoil pads, best on the market IMO. If one of my bigger rifles/shoguns do not have a really good factory pad then a Limbsaver is added. A few of the factory pads get replaced too.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, put them on Youtube.

This is the 3.5" load

[ame]http://youtu.be/nLZzcr8K8eM[/ame]

This is the 2 3/4 loads

[ame]http://youtu.be/swKj-r3U2d0[/ame]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts