close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gravel pit question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Aug 4, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have been fishing a gravel pit for a couple years now and the largemouth bass that I catch have no color and no lateral line. does anyone know why. I thought maybe the depth and the clear water were a cause. I also only catch small bass nothing of any size. There have to be some breeders in there if there are small ones right?

2. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Gravel pits aren't known to have the most pollution-free lakes in them. Maybe that has something to do with it.

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Is the water off color? Bass coming out of muddy water can look very bleached out almost white at times

4. It's mostly the amount of sun they are (are in this case aren't) getting. It's much like you or I getting a tan if we are out in the sun or growing pale if we aren't getting much sunlight. With fish it's often a bit more complicated than with you or I getting a tan since the fish also have evolved some camouflage mechanisms but it's still mostly dependent on how much light reaches them.

Also, if you are fishing shallow and catching small, pale fish from a pit then look for deeper structure for the big ones. Those small, pale fish probalby just came shallow to reach some prey small enough for them to eat. The big ones are probably staying suspended all the time or only coming shallow at night. We used to own some well stocked pits down in SW Ohio and we could only catch decent sized bass at night. We usually got them on black buzz baits right in the middle of the pit. The bigger fish would suspend in 30 feet of water all day then come straight up to the surface to feed at night.

Steve

5. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

thanks for the help guys. I will have to try fishing it at night. I want to catfish it anyways. Now I will just have to try for some bass too. As for the water. It is very clear. I can see 10-15ft down if I stand up on a vantage point. I have tried jigs and deep diving cranks, but with limited success. There is a small pond on the backside of the main lakes and it has decent bass in it. They have good color too. I also know for a fact that there has been some fish taken from the main lake and transplanted into the small pond. It is not as deep (of course) and has alot of structure in it unlike the main lake. I talked to the pit superintendant the other day and he said that they have been catching some nice ones in the pit that they are still mining for gravel in. I have never fished it b/c I did not want to interfere. He said the water level got too high a couple years ago and the two main lakes mixed. Do you think the big ones went to the other lake when this happened?
    Both lakes are at least 75 acres with some islands in the middle.

6. i have fished thr gravil pit off 5th avanue on west side of columbus,gin clear saw bass every were but would not rapala,roostertail cranks ....the first time i ever used a plastic worm was there..........bamm a 2lb on first cast with a 3lb fallowing the one i hooked all the way up tryin to get that worm outa the 2lbers mouth!!!! watta fight on 4 mono....i also had very good luck with sluggos fished waightless..........man they slammed them.........lottsa luck

7. Cool, which quary was it? I use to cliff dive from two of those quarys. And was fishing the one that 5th ave. ends at (where if you kept going, you would drive right into it). Me and a old friend fished it once and man talk about a awesome fishing day. We was catching Bluegill the size of large Crappie and he landed a LM that was somewhere around five pounds. We climbed down a cliff and sat at the bottom with our lines only two feet from shore, but about 15-20 feet deep. All C&R except the bass which he said he was getting mounted, but I don't know if he ever did get it mounted. This quary aint clear like the one I think you are talking about (which is the other quary I jumped in. And hell yes there is bass everywhere in that quary, and they are huge monsters.

8. the first one on the right after u cross the sciota........there was a big office bld when u turned in......awesome fishin.

9. Ok thats not the one I was talking about that clear. If you cross the street (5th ave.), you will see yet another quary thats clear and has huge bass also. The one your talkiong about now has apartment there and it is residents only fishing.