Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Honorary Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an old gravel pit that I have permission to fish due to the river levels being so high. I planned on bass fishing but quickly changed my plan after seeing schooling shad around a drainage pipe where water was swiftly draining from one pit to another. I ran back to the house and grabbed my landing net with hopes to net a few for bait. I returned to the my spot and after a couple minutes and a half dozen or so failed attempts, I netted a few 5 to 6 inch shad. Not being really a cat fisherman I tied on a wacky worm hook and a float...hooked a shad through the lips and made a cast into the line of swift moving water exiting the drainage pipe. It may of been a minute or two and my float quickly went under. I set the hook and after a minute or two fight landed a 25" channel cat. A half an hour or so later I hooked into what I think was a blue cat (fish ID needed guys). It was 27" and put up a great fight. I also caught a largemouth bass that was 15". I was impressed that he was interested in a 6" shad. Overall a nice day fishing. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1372956818.977591.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1372956864.472522.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those are probably both channels. The best way to tell is that a blue will have a straight anal fin with 30+ rays. A channel will have a curved anal fin with 29 or fewer rays.

Can't see the anal fin at all in the pic of the darker one in the net. That being said, it's awful dark and has what would be an abnormal head to body size ratio for a blue. The pic of the lighter one next to your rod appears to have a very curved anal fin.

Those are some nice fish and the ingenuity with which they were caught is commendable.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
yup both channels, the dark one with the big head is a Male in spawning garb, they get dark blue and the heads are heavy as the glands on the top of there heads get swollen while the other fish is a female from the body shape, lighter, smaller head and narrower mouth. Both nice fish!! WTG!

Salmonid

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Although not monsters, those are quality channels. I'll take 24" and up any any day. And I would absolutely expect a 15" bass to take a 6" shad, I have seen them hit bluegill close to that size and shad are much easier to eat. That large mouth is not just for show. Looks like you had a good day out.

Sent from my MB886 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts