Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bush hogging the past couple days and there are literally a thousand grasshoppers maybe 1.25" long on the bush hog at all times. I'm going to net a bunch up tomorrow to catch bluegills this weekend, so I've got 2 questions. How do you hook them? And how do you fish them? I was thinking of hooking them through the back with my usual light wire #6 Aberdeen (maybe a tiny split shot about a foot above it to give it some weight to cast) and casting it out right on top. Am I wrong?

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
sounds good to me. you cqn always youtube search it......

·
Just practicing my cast
4,725 Posts
I like to hook them just past the neck with no split shot.

·
Old Soldier
213 Posts
My buddy used to hook them through a leg so they would still move around - no weight or float.. Or he would hook them through the leg, used a small split shot, and a small float. Can't cast too far or they come off but you can let them drift with wind or the current. Good Luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Grasshoppers are awesome bait where I usually fish, as soon as it hits the water its gone lol. I hook mine thru the hard shell just behind the head and let it free sink on it own. Once it drops a little in the water column, thats when I usually get a bite, Bluegill, Channels, and even a couple crappie so far using grasshoppers lol. Awesome Bait!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I'll have a good supply, plenty of time, and a good pond full of monster bluegills so I'm going to try a few different methods and see what happens.

·
Just practicing my cast
4,725 Posts
good luck end let us know how you do!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You won't have any problems catching gills with your hoppers. I've used crickets a bunch for gills and used hopper flies for gills and trout and they are awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts