Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, are grass carp found in the LMR? I know they are not native species, but I see them all of the time in local ponds and I would guess some have gotten out by now. I think we only have diploids here that can't reproduce...so maybe I'll just have to order a few online. I'd like to catch 2-5 of them and throw them in my farm pond this weekend to see if they will help control the algae next year. I'm sure I could find them at just about any of the park lakes like Winton Woods, but I'm not sure what their rules are on keeping them. I didn't see the limits on the web, anyone know the rules on keeping grass carp? Also, do you think it is too late in the year to catch them on bread? I usually just toss a bunch of slices of white bread in the water and wait for them to start slurping it up.

Thanks,
House

·
d{>_
519 Posts
Probably not allowed to keep them from the park lakes if they stocked them. They are pretty expensive fish from what I hear

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm shopping for them now. It looks like they run about $15 bucks a fish for the special Triploid ones that Ohio requires we use. I guess they can't reproduce and get out in the wild and go crazy. I'll have to reconsider how badly I want them. I don't want to be called a fish thief turdivore or a gar headhunter! Maybe I should just get a hippopotamus...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts