Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Marsh lake Sunday morning in the heat trying to catch some bass. I threw everything swimjigs, soft plastics, spinnerbaits, cranks nothing was hitting. Tried staying in the shade as much as I could because gingers like me when you forget your sunscreen can burn quick and the suns not healthy for us. As I was heading back to the parking lot I stop at one more spot throwing a plum flick n shimmy worm. As I was walking down the hill I spooked the biggest Blue cat I've ever seen along the bank and it made a HUGE swirl in the water, which spooked me as well.

After being spooked by the catfish I casted out a couple more times, again no hits. I decided one last cast. I casted that worm about about 30 yards out as it was sinking I felt a thump in the rod. Set the hook and game on! The drag on my Steez was peeling I had it engage the reel and just let him run. At this time I had no clue what it was and I was thinking it was that blue. Then I can feel him running towards the top of the water. No way this could be a bass, if so it might be a state record. Then all of a sudden I see a massive grass carp leap out of the water. I had a perfect snagged in the tail and it took forever to calm this thing down. After fighting with it for 15 minutes I see a guy I know walking down the path above me. I engaged my reel letting out line walking up the hill asking for help landing this fish, luckily he had a net on him. Finally he gives up and I could start reeling him in which felt like reeling a sack of potatoes at this point. We got him in the net put him on a scale and weighed in at 21 lbs. Which is a small compared to what my buddy caught, a 74lb grass carp on his fly rod a week ago which took him close to an hour to land.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Being in the tail def would make it harder to land. I had a small catfish of around 3 lbs snaged in the taik a month ago . It was in the Maumee River in a small current on an ultralight rod. I thought it was a big flathead with the struggle I had

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haha, brings back a memory of me hooking a Carp up in the inlet to Lake Michigan from Muskegon Lake in Michigan. I was fishing a spinner bait and felt a bump, set the hook and hooked a carp about that size square in the middle of his tail meat. It was pulling my 19foot Ranger with 3 people in it all over the place. I had no idea what I hooked, thought it might be a big salmon. People had the inlet congested watching me fight that thing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts