Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no doubt in my mind that the state of Ohio had more to do with winning the Civil War than any other Northern state. First, Ohio soldiers were among the best in the Union army. They gained a reputation for sticking in a fight when their comrades fled before Lee's incomparable veterans.
But two Ohio men did more than anyone to see what it was going to take to subdue the South. Lincoln had seen many of his top generals thrown back by an army half its size.
Grant had found success in the western theater, so Lincoln brought him east.
Grant was placed in overall command of the Union army, attaching himself to Meade's Army of the Potomac.
Grant was to go for Lee, and sent Sherman south to deal with Johnston. Both had manpower advantages,,and both knew what it was going to take to win, bring the war home to the southern people.
Grant met Lee at the Wilderness, a place where Federal troops had been defeated twice before. And again, Union forces could do little more than a stalemate. But Grant did not retreat as other Union generals had done,,he turned toward Richmond. This began the Overland Campaign, a series of head on battles that bled both armies. Grant especially lost heavily at the battle of Cold Harbor, where he attacked Lee's fortifications. But he had the troops, and again moved on Richmond.
As this was going on, Grant sent Sheridan to burn out the Shenandoah Valley, to deny Lee the fertile region to feed his troops. Crops and homes were burnt to the ground.
Meanwhile, Sherman had his tough soldiers chasing Joe Johnston across Georgia. Johnston turned at the battle of Kennesaw Mountain, where Sherman sent his troops against the rebel lines and was repulsed with heavy losses. But, like Grant, Sherman skirted Johnston and continued to Atlanta. Davis replaced Johnston with the aggressive John Hood.
Hood did what he knew best, attack. He bled the army dry, then fell back. Sherman continued to take Atlanta and Savannah, and marched through the Carolinas, burning as he went.
Many Union soldiers were saddened at the sight of women and children watching their homes go up in flames.
Grant finally trapped Lee in Petersburg, where he laid siege for several months.
Lee broke out, and Grant pursued the depleted rebel army. A series of running battles saw Lee cornered at Appomattox, where he surrendered his tattered army.
A few weeks later Johnston, in command again, surrendered to Sherman, effectively ending the war..
Both Grant and Sherman knew what it was going to take to win, and as such, I believe they were two of the first modern style generals. And both were from Ohio. Sheridan was raised there, but was born in New York. Besides,, I do not consider him to the level of Grant and Sherman.
It took a long time for the South to recover and rebuild, and Grant and Sherman both saw to it the process went as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you liked it. I enjoy Civil War history. Had many ancestors in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.
The soldiers of both armies were similar in many respects, quite different in others. Billy Yank tended to be a bit younger, but better educated. Johnny Reb had a more martial spirit and a dash about him the Northern men lacked.. They were better riders, (Grant himself said they rode like circus riders).
Billy Yank had a gritty determination about him that allowed him to withstand the misuse of his talents by generals like McClellan , Hooker and Burnside. The rebel troops cheered the Yankees for their bravery at Fredricksburg in attacking Lee's trenches and leaving thousands dead on the battlefield. Lee could not believe Burnside made that attack.
The soldiers often met between the lines to swap tobacco for coffee.

They cracked jokes about each other. One Yank told the reb picket he was across from he heard the rebs had a new general. 'General Starvation' he told the rebel. The Yankee asked the rebel why his uniform was so torn up. "We don't wear our best clothes to slaughter hogs" was the reply.
Men able to crack jokes on each other like this were hardly sworn enemies..In fact, their Grandads fought together to birth this nation.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Fun Fact: Grant is my great great great great Uncle. No, seriously!

Here's a Portrait of him that's been handed down through the Family for generations. We're currently trying to get it featured on Antiques Road Show :).

Edit: Also in our possession is the Grant Family Bible.

Picture frame Portrait Antique Painting Room

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Grant and Sherman were both hard nosed generals that were not afraid of a fight. They used their advantages in men and supplies to keep pressing the fight. Grant proved himself at Vicksburg. Previous generals were too slow to move or fought too defensively. Grant and Sherman's methods were not pretty, but they got the job done. They didn't leave the southern armies any time to resupply and reinforce. They kept moving and attacking even when it cost men. The north had more men to replace the lost, but the south didn't.

Lee had so many disadvantages. He would have had to fight a perfect war for the south to win. He was able to defend Richmond, then brought the fight to the north. Had a good campaign going against a bigger army until the 3rd day at Gettysburg. He could have left after the 2nd day and the battle would have been a draw. The 3rd day, he ordered Pickett's charge at the Union center and lost so many men that he had to retreat all the way to Virginia!

It's amazing to me that the Reconstruction era went so well that there was not another civil war. Especially after Lincoln was killed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i love history,or anything to do with it. i collect anything old anything from arrow heads to whatever mostly from ohio. i also had ancestors who fought under lee, my brother did the reaserch and found it. ncbassattack, i just wonder if my ancestors knew yours....we will never know but just the thought of it is just plain cool

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love history,or anything to do with it. i collect anything old anything from arrow heads to whatever mostly from ohio. i also had ancestors who fought under lee, my brother did the reaserch and found it. ncbassattack, i just wonder if my ancestors knew yours....we will never know but just the thought of it is just plain cool
Mine were in the 26th NC,the 52d NC, the 5th NC Cavalry and the 1st NC Cavalry.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have wondered many times how the war would have played out had Lee accepted command of the Union forces offered by Lincoln. He was offered command of all US forces!!
He refused, saying he could not raise his sword against Virginia.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Last weekend, I drove out to Grant's birthplace site in Point Pleasant. it was a nice drive along the river.
Our intention is to donate the portrait and have it displayed there (preferably) or in another museum. (After we get it appraised, of course).

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Were the Cavalry part of Jeb Stuarts Cavalry? He was as good as they come.

Reactions: ress

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Collection History
Here’s a page from a scrap book my great grandfather on my dads side made during his time in France as a artillery man in WWI (center row left). That page has pictures of every generation from my dads side in uniform except for my dad who was in Vietnam (book was put together well before that). The 2 pictures of my great great great? Grandfathers from the civil war I’m curious about but I don’t know if I can find any information about them anywhere. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
View attachment 363293 Here’s a page from a scrap book my great grandfather on my dads side made during his time in France as a artillery man in WWI (center row left). That page has pictures of every generation from my dads side in uniform except for my dad who was in Vietnam (book was put together well before that). The 2 pictures of my great great great? Grandfathers from the civil war I’m curious about but I don’t know if I can find any information about them anywhere. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?
I believe on Ancestry.com they have a database of war records of US Soldiers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts