Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to go out sunday on the grand and troll the harbor. Grand river landing looks like one of the two launches but its free. I really dont want to pay 15 bucks to launch.
My question is can I get my 18ft boat in there and travel to the lake.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes you can
although I think a single launch is $11 and it is a long way to the lake from that launch... much of it no wake

go to the mouth and pay the fee, and get some free fishing advise from the guy that collects the cash... secure parking there

depending on winds the harbor can get rough... you can drive to the launch and check it out without paying

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice my buddy offered to pay the launch fee anyway but I guess Im cheap. Do you think the guy that collects the cash can give me advice about musky? I know its a long shot but want to try. If that doesn't work out after a couple hours I figured try casting breakwall for smallies.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Thanks for the advice my buddy offered to pay the launch fee anyway but I guess Im cheap. Do you think the guy that collects the cash can give me advice about musky? I know its a long shot but want to try. If that doesn't work out after a couple hours I figured try casting breakwall for smallies.
Some guys troll massive baits around the harbor area. Not an impressive catch rate but those spotted great lakes strain musky get BIG.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are after musky or pike you are better off at the Grand River launch ramp... not unheard of to catch pike closer to the lake but better off upstream and downstream from Grand River free launch. There is a bait store, Harbor Bait and Takle on the way to either launch at the Y in the road as you enter Fairport that can guide you as to what is being caught. Lots of guys cast for smallies from both sides of the breakwall and further east up the shoreline (natural and rip rap) towards Painesville Twp park. There is a dredged channel out of the harbor, and if not too much boat traffic you can try that break line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts