Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do some fishing at the damn in grand rapids and wanted to know if i could get some suggestions on what to throw out there to catch something?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Last year I saw some guys throwing a net out. They managed a bunch of White Bass & some walleyes along with assorted others. They did not care that it was illegal. Called the poacher hot line to no avil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses any help is appreciated went up there and couldnt catch anything so now its personal so any more help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell me where those three holes are or of any other good fishing spots. What baits/lures work best stuff like that?

·
Administrator
9,370 Posts
Can you tell me where those three holes are or of any other good fishing spots. What baits/lures work best stuff like that?
Jhart,

We have thousands of lurkers here everyday.
It is considered bad form to ask or give out fishing spots in the open forum.
Good spots have been ruined due to extreme fishing pressure from the location made public.

Once you make a friend or two here you can trade spots in Private Messages.
Better yet, someone might ask you to join them sometime.

Peace!

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
344 Posts
Other lures that work well include 3" twister tail grubs on a 1/8 oz jig (yellow, chartreuse, green, and white).
You might also try tube jigs in brown, olive, or orange. Plastic crayfish work well.
Finally, the ever popular Rebel Craw and Mini Craw seem to catch fish as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fishing at the damn can be pretty dam tough if the dam fish aren't biting. Some times I hate this dam sport....but it can also be pretty dam fun.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

·
1,318 Posts
Last year I saw some guys throwing a net out. They managed a bunch of White Bass & some walleyes along with assorted others. They did not care that it was illegal. Called the poacher hot line to no avil.
A lot of guys castnet shad there at the dam, perfectly legal, however if they are taking game fish (white bass, walleye, sunfish), that's definitely illegal, I have heard the game warden has been doing a better job watching that area this year....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did not mean to cause any problems by posting and asking for spots i understand what you are talking about sorry just got big into fishing this year and trying to learn. Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anything that resembles a crayfish will get smallmouth there. And already stated previously but any bait under a bobber will work for cats, mostly channels,but occasionally you canget a flathead there under a worm in the daytime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Half the fun is finding the fish.

The dam area can be good, just be smart, if you step into a hole in waders you may become bait.

Once you find them, you can do well.

I love a jig w/twister tail. Play with colors to see what works.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Was there yestereday. Water a little higher then I like. Mainly because I like to sit on a bucket at times. However its very fishable. As far as fishing went I was disappointed - 2 white bass, 3 sheephead, 3 catfish (largest 23") & 1 walleye (saugeye) (20 1/4"). Using an ultralight, 1/16 oz jig with a 1" tail. Let mr tell you all 3 catfish gave a battle.

·
d{>_
519 Posts
Was there yestereday. Water a little higher then I like. Mainly because I like to sit on a bucket at times. However its very fishable. As far as fishing went I was disappointed - 2 white bass, 3 sheephead, 3 catfish (largest 23") & 1 walleye (saugeye) (20 1/4"). Using an ultralight, 1/16 oz jig with a 1" tail. Let mr tell you all 3 catfish gave a battle.
Love going down there targeting catfish with ultralight tackle caught and realesed this guy last summer on 5' ultra light with 6lb test with a shad under a bobber

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Again disappointed with the fishing - 10 WB, 2 cats, 2 lb & 3 sheep. Using jigs. But almost low enough for bucket sitting. However I saw a group of guys fishing for cats. No idea what bait they were using but they should have fun cleaning them. Quite a few fish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to say thank you for the advice and the people who private messaged me with ideas. I finally went today and had a lot better trip and caught some fish. Thank you to all for the help and advice feeling like im actually growing as a fisherman and im loving it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts