Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went there with family yesterday, fished with night crawler under a floater. Most of the bites are drums and baby catfish. I just wonder what do you guys use for cats at grand rapids dam? If you use chicken liver, how do you hook it?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Try shiners. The cats love "em and so does everything else that swims up there. The cats in the Maumee are more predatory than say cats in a lake and feed on alot of live fish. Catch alot on bass baits like Big O's and wee-craws. Not to say they won't hit chicken livers, especially in calmer water, but I think they're more fish oriented in the current and faster moving pools. Just my opinion from past experience.
Once again, with live bait, I'm a big proponent of circle hooks if you plan on letting your fish go. Cuts way down on fish mortality with live bait.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went there yesterday, used shads and other shiners, caught 10+ good size cats, 6 white bass and couple of gars. It kinda surprised me that we still have white bass around in Maumee at this point.

·
can't land em Teddy
350 Posts
The maumee r is home to over a hundred species a fish including white bass. These are resident fish as opposed to the spring run fish from Erie.

·
d{>_
519 Posts
Was there yesterday(sunday) Took the bow and was able to get a shot at 2 carp after that got the rod and reel out managed 2 smally's on a fake shad seen ALOT of white bass being caught

·
146 Posts
was there today 8/27 caught some white bass with minnows and a couple channel cats too. right in the middle of the damn just out in front.

·
d{>_
519 Posts
was there today 8/27 caught some white bass with minnows and a couple channel cats too. right in the middle of the damn just out in front.
What time was you there? Me and a buddy where there as well sounds like we were fishing the same spot.

·
146 Posts
was there from like 3ish to like 7:30pm. where you the guy who hooked us up with the minnows? we left our net in my other dudes car.

·
d{>_
519 Posts
was there from like 3ish to like 7:30pm. where you the guy who hooked us up with the minnows? we left our net in my other dudes car.
Yep that was us glad to help glad to hear you caught a few too

·
d{>_
519 Posts
If you go near the bridge behind marathon with your bow you'll see gar all night anywhere from 1 to 10ft off the bank just take a good led light
thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts