Ohio Game Fishing banner

Grand Lake St Marys Roughfish double threat

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Garyoutlaw77 
#1 ·
While fishing the recent Grand Lake st. Marys Carp tournament we caught excellent numbers of Carp and quality Channel Catfish but the real bonus of the trip was the high volume of mirror scale pattern carp we caught in the mix. By far some of the highest densities I have ever encountered in a true wild water setting.
(Mirrors were 100% CPR by us)
Fish Fish Carp Bass Tail
Fish Fishing Fish Carp Recreation
Fish Fishing Fisherman Carp Fish
Fish Fishing Fish Carp Recreation
Wilderness Recreation Grass Fish Vacation

See less See more
#3 ·
Gary,
Whats do you mean about mirror scale pattern and what causes that?
Mirror scale pattern is a recessive genetic scale mutation in Carp that gives them broken highly irregular scale patterns that typically is quite rare. (don't quote me) but have been told they are said to be 1 in 10,000 fish so catching them at any size is a trophy in the (wild) American Carp fishing world.
They also come in various forms -
Full scale: large miss-shaped closely stacked scales (most common)
Linear : large shield like scales that run the entire lateral line similar to Israeli carp sold as bait fish.
Leather: little to no scales - smooth skin like a catfish ( uncommon in America)
Muddlers: similar to full scale but only small portions of tiny irregular closely stacked scales.
To give you frame of reference - I have caught only one in over 30 years of fishing some Creeks yet have caught quite a few in others. So have suspicion that habitual inbreeding in closed systems may be linked to higher densities but just my opinion
Fish Fish Perch Carp Bony-fish

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.