Ohio Game Fishing banner
5541 - 5546 of 5546 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,541 ·
Couple of my friends who regularly attend my spring and fall crappie outings expressed interest in a winter crappie fishing try. We tried that this past Monday, 2 of the guys for a 1-day event. So, Monday high temp was 61 degrees, hardly winter weather. Water temp though was barely over 40 degrees.

I frequently say in the winter, "find a school of fish and have a great day. Good luck if you don't get on a school of fish". We didn't get on a school and it was a tough day. We struggled to catch 19 crappie total for the 3 of us. 12 of the 19 were caught in the first hour and lulled us into thinking a great fishing day was unfolding. It was drudgery to plod ahead each of the next 3 hours, rarely a bite, to catch only 7 more. Lunch was a high point for the day, great food. Good camaraderie but not much bragging during conversations. The lake won today, but hard to lose anytime you're fishing with friends.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,543 · (Edited)
After my Monday event with fishing friends I stayed overnight at my lakeplace. Wanted to fish Tuesday morning thinking the fish owed me a better bite. Apparently the fish had decided to the contrary. Took 30 minutes to muster my first bite and first fish of the day. No, not a crappie, but another of those GLSM phantom perch that no one catches. Each one I catch brings a big smile. This one not a 12" like last posted, but still impressive at 11".

DNR stopped stocking them in GLSM a couple years ago and claimed the 7-8 year stocking program had not been a success. That assessment may have been premature. I've fished 14 days this month catching perch on 6 days tho not targeting them. Hmmm?
Fin Fish Grass Marine biology Salmon-like fish

·
Registered
783 Posts
At that size, you're catching older perch. In good lakes, perch should be self sustaining--but in lakes other than Lake Erie, I tend to find them in weeds, weed edges, etc. and they tned to loosely school up. Course, could be the size of the bait you're using too. I like ice spoons tipped with a maggot for perch; Erie demands minnow shiners for me. Whatever works, though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
After my Monday event with fishing friends I stayed overnight at my lakeplace. Wanted to fish Tuesday morning thinking the fish owed me a better bite. Apparently the fish had decided to the contrary. Took 30 minutes to muster my first bite and first fish of the day. No, not a crappie, but another of those GLSM phantom perch that no one catches. Each one I catch brings a big smile. This one not a 12" like last posted, but still impressive at 11".

DNR stopped stocking them in GLSM a couple years ago and claimed the 7-8 year stocking program had not been a success. That assessment may have been premature. I've fished 14 days this month catching perch on 6 days tho not targeting them. Hmmm?
View attachment 480792
I read that they quit stocking in 2019. This pig was probably stocked. Are you catching smaller ones that would indicate that they are breeding?

Reactions: zaraspook

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,546 ·
I read that they quit stocking in 2019. This pig was probably stocked. Are you catching smaller ones that would indicate that they are breeding?
Hortance......that's a good question and equally interesting observation concerning reproduction. The answer is, personally I am not catching small perch. All mine are easy keepers 9-12" range. With the safe ice recently at GLSM, the ice guys are reporting catching perch, also. Not in big numbers but a couple perch scattered here and there, no smaller fish. Same reports at spillway where state has been pulling water for several weeks. Anglers are catching a few perch, but I only heard bigger ones up to 12".
I think you are correct, state stocking of perch ceased in 2019. Couldn't one make the argument that if fish are not reproducing, stocked fish are doing well(12"+). If doing well, let's continue stocking just as they stock other lakes with saugeye and saugeye don't reproduce?

5541 - 5546 of 5546 Posts