Ohio Game Fishing banner
5501 - 5520 of 5546 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,501 ·
Saugfish.....clearly similar techniques/results at both GLSM and Buckeye. Assumed you were were referencing Buckeye. And spot on with your remark about big gills busting the shad bodies. Really an unusually good year here with quantity and quality of gills. Envious that you have saugfish option and we don't.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Saugfish.....clearly similar techniques/results at both GLSM and Buckeye. Assumed you were were referencing Buckeye. And spot on with your remark about big gills busting the shad bodies. Really an unusually good year here with quantity and quality of gills. Envious that you have saugfish option and we don't.
Yes sir,buckeye lake. And I agree. The variety is nice. And having different options keeps me going.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,503 ·
57 degree water on Monday this week. Bluebird day, no wind, mostly sunny. Struggled to bring 11 on land vertically jigging in 3' of water I could reach from bank. They'd gently suck in my plastic and sit motionless. I'd feel weight/tension on the line, lift and land, or be buried in a snag. Toon bite was scant.....just solos.

Tues morning before heading home found same bluebird conditions, bright skies, little breeze. Bite was slower than Mon. Caught 5, 1 a keeper and the only pontoon fish that day. I'm sure somewhere on the lake catching was good but not for me. It goes that way. With water temps declining, bite will pickup and hopefully bring more size to the creel.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,504 ·
Came to GLSM after dark Thurs just to fish today/Friday then head home. Water temp this morning 55.7 degrees, continuing a slow but steady descent.

Earlier this week, Mon/Tues, bite was puny so my expectations weren't high. In my morning session I caught 7 in under 2 hours, 2 were legal....not a great session, but not a bust. Trekked back to my place, finished off my 1st cup of coffee, and ate toast. Relaxed then ventured out again for another round.

Started at some brush off my seawall. One unzipped, no more action moved to another brush pile with no success, so figured I'd work a few nearby toons. Actually bounced back and forth between 4 pontoons and Jeez, got into some of the best action this fall. Over the next 3 hours including a break for lunch, I caught 37 crappie! 19 were from one toon, 8 each at 2 other toons, and and the 4th toon a mere 2 crappie. Used Monkey Milk Southern Pro Baby Shad the entire time. Mostly 7-8" fish, but 7 legal keepers. Biggest was a rare 11", 2nd 11" in a week from the current undersized crappie class.

Unexpected good fortune today. The best is still ahead!
Fisherman Sunglasses Sky Tree Fish

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,505 ·
Spontaneous decision to come to lake late Sunday despite rain and expectation of more on Monday. Arrived in time to fish 75 minutes Sunday in the rain. Managed to catch 11 crappie, no keepers in the lot.

Monday/today started better. 3 keepers from first 4 fish. Next 37 fish not so good....3 keepers. Nice to catch 41 crappie, but 6 in bucket is puny. It rained all day.

I fished 7 spots, twice today at each spot, and caught crappie at each. Water temp 54.6 degrees, first time this fall to slip below 55. Used same plastics as last Friday. Panfish Assassin and Southern Pro Baby Shad, both in Monkey Milk pattern. No muddy water in my channel despite the rain. Water clarity will change soon......Tributaries are spewing lots of muddy runoff into the lake. I expect bite to stay good despite stained conditions. Hoping those lake crappie, soon to invade channels, includes some better size fish.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,506 ·
Weds-Friday fishing excursion at GLSM this past week. Though the bite was decent on Weds, friend and I really struggled next 2 days. Only reliable constant was incessant rain. Lake water level is up nicely for fishing, not for catching. Despite the deluge my channel water clarity is good, not muddy, not stained. Water temp held steady at about 52 degrees the 3 days.

We caught 37 Weds. Despite fishing longer Thurs we could only coax 15 crappie onto the bank. Limited to just fishing the morning on Friday, we caught 19. Monkey Milk shad bodies worked best for me. Fishing buddy split time between Monkey Milk and a chartreuse pattern of shad bodies with about the same success.

Forecast calls for a string of 9 straight nights with 10-15 degree colder lows. Water temps heading south, 40's soon.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,507 ·
Monday afternoon this week I caught 25. Water temp 51 degrees. Tuesday caught 41. Water temp crept into 40's first time this fall at 49.1 degrees. Today/Wed water temp 47.4 and bite was crazy good! Caught 71. Definitely signs of more fish in channel and quality improving modestly. 37 caught from traditional cover/brush. 34 came from beneath pontoons. Good steady action morning, midday, and late afternoon/evening. Success from brush came 40" down in water 4-4.5' deep. It was a fun day. It's coming!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Good job Zara. It's still a tough jig bite down here but I've heard the minnow guys are doing better.
I haven't fished much the last few weeks cause I've had some hip issues. I've got an MRI coming up in another week. I told the doc he's got to get me fixed up for the winter fishing season.
I'm going out tomorrow and we're bringing minnows. I hope we find a few.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,509 · (Edited)
C-dude.....sorry to hear hips are cutting into your crappie fishing time. Not good! Good luck tomorrow.
Hey.....water temp this morning 46.2 degrees. We're closing on hot zone temps where bite escalates exponentially for this shallow lake. Hope so!

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Good job Zara. It's still a tough jig bite down here but I've heard the minnow guys are doing better.
I haven't fished much the last few weeks cause I've had some hip issues. I've got an MRI coming up in another week. I told the doc he's got to get me fixed up for the winter fishing season.
I'm going out tomorrow and we're bringing minnows. I hope we find a few.
Hope you get that hip figured out and better soon! I literally feel your pain(well used to).
Had my left replaced summer before last at 37 yrs young and was fishing in 4 weeks,and kayaking in 6.
Good luck C-dude!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes.
The hip is a mystery at this point. According to the x-rays the joint is fine and at this point he's leaning to it being muscular. I was on a strong anti inflammatory for a month and it was feeling a little better but it faired up over the weekend to where I couldn't walk. It's a little better today and I hope it stays that way so I can get the boat out tomorrow. Usually my wife will help me get the boat out if I'm messed up but she just had cataract surgery no she's on light duty for another week. I'm just disappointed I have to wait almost 2 weeks to get an MRI.
My fishing buddy has been fighting sciatica and needs a back operation so he can't take his boat. I got a feeling this is going to be an interesting trip. We're both tired of sitting around.

When I retired I took up pickleball to stay active and healthy. I never had joint issues before I started playing.
So far I tore my meniscus in my right knee, tore my calf muscle, got inflamed tendons and now the hip.
I think this staying healthy is going to kill me.

I can't wait to get on the water tomorrow. I'm optimistic, I changed the line on all my jig rods this evening.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Hope you feel better soon John. We are going to try it tomorrow on EF. Good Luck if you get out.
Thanks Michael, I hope you guys do good tomorrow.
Today I caught 1 catfish, 1 bluegill and 1 crappie....then my trolling motor died.
After calling the TM shop we dicided it was probably a power issue. I pulled the batteries and they both tested bad. Got everything hooked back up and charging. Batteries were less than 2 years old and still under warranty. The starting battery is the same age so I hope it doesn't die too.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,514 ·
Thanks Michael, I hope you guys do good tomorrow.
Today I caught 1 catfish, 1 bluegill and 1 crappie....then my trolling motor died.
After calling the TM shop we dicided it was probably a power issue. I pulled the batteries and they both tested bad. Got everything hooked back up and charging. Batteries were less than 2 years old and still under warranty. The starting battery is the same age so I hope it doesn't die too.
Poo!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,516 ·
GLSM water temp 44 degrees Sunday in my channel, down from 46 on Thurs. Here in time to fish 2 hours. Caught 8 first hour. Just 2 in 2nd hour. With good results lately my expectations were higher.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I think our water temps are still in the 60's down here, we won't hit those temps until December sometime.
I'm heading back out tomorrow, I hope the new batteries fixes the problem.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,518 ·
Monday headed home at 3pm but fished 3 hours over 2 sessions. Hit four spots on my walking morning tour. First spot was a dry hole. 2nd spot caught 1 but a keeper. 3rd spot got 14.....I like the progression I'm on. Ooops 2 dry holes after that. Afternoon session gave up just 1 crappie beneath my pontoon. 2 other spots biteless. Water temp 45.2 today vs 44 yesterday.

The fish I caught had to be coaxed from the bottom. They weren't going to move unless you put bait close enough to be inhaled. Barely moved once inhaled but you could feel weight on the line. Some days they don't want to play!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,519 ·
Noon Fri 12th until noon Sunday 14th I hosted my fall crappiethon at my GLSM lakehouse. 6 of us, buddies since elementary school days, grew up in the same Kettering, OH neighborhood. We've been doing this since 2015, originally in the Spring only, but expanded to add a fall event in 2015. This Fall 2021 event in mid November is the latest we've scheduled. Weather reflected the late date.....damn cold and wet snow, not to mention challenging wind. Water temp fell from 45 to 41 while we were there.

Our group caught 83 crappie during the event, 13 Friday afternoon, with a full day available Saturday we caught a respectable 52, 18 Sunday morning. Keepers were hard to come by, maybe 4-5.

Although I tied for most fish caught and biggest fish, my team team was badly thumped. No prize for most beer consumed where my team easily kicked butt. Hmmm. More beer means fewer fish? Who would have thought that one? Duh!

Good time! Good fun! Great music, camaraderie, poker and exaggerated stories. And, some somber moments and reflections for a group member who passed since our last event in the Spring of this year. Not even fishermen can escape reality and time moves forward. For as long as it lasts, we are thankful and blessed there are more fish to catch!

5501 - 5520 of 5546 Posts