Ohio Game Fishing banner
5461 - 5480 of 5504 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,461 ·
View attachment 471724 Cold water creek on Friday campgrounds was way worse got a video of campgrounds if I can figure out how to uplade
James - I haven't personally viewed any algae blooms in my area, but the colors in your photo look dead-on similar to the Mother of all blooms that smothered the lake in 2010. Let's hope we're not headed down that path.

Just a few weeks ago we celebrated a huge event..... for the first time in 12 years testing for microcystins, the toxin from our "normal" GLSM algae, showed the toxin levels were "undetectable". Never happened before and water clarity had been incredibly clear for months.

Quietly, many of us were jubilant but leery there could be another shoe to drop. Why the apprehension? You see, in 2010-2011 when the lake blew up, the scientific wizards from Battelle Institute were engaged to analyze what happened, why the historic algae bloom happened. After months of studies Battelle reported the lake actually contained multiple strains of algae. For unknown reasons, in 2010 the normally dominant algae did not thrive, became recessive and in its absence another normally recessive strain thrived and dominated. That strain gave us the thick 2010 algae that looked like paint in white, blues, and turquoise swirls.

The abnormal water clarity this year and recent test data shows our "normal" algae is not present in normal levels. If you follow the logic I'm pushing, is the door open for a recessive algae strain to become dominant and thrive as history shows happened a decade + ago?

Before anyone jumps off the deep end, keep in mind GLSM is not the same lake as in 2010. Conditions are different. The loading of nitrates and phosphates to feed algae is different, so we're told. The southside tributaries now have treatment trains to filter contaminants which is another difference. Tons and tons of dredged materials with legacy contaminates are gone, another difference.

Clearly current photos and reports tell us something is going on. The next few weeks should tell us if we've done the right things and enough of them over the last 11 years. Cross your fingers!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,462 ·
Water temp late Monday 78 degrees. Fished 8-8:45 pm to get 2 bites, catching one. It was 12", first one that size in several weeks. Jumped on my Stump Bug in "slick" pattern which is essentially Monkey Milk. Fun while it lasted.
Cloud Sky Tree Fisherman Sleeve

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,463 · (Edited)
No shortage of brew, burgers, and brats for our July 4th affair at lake Fri-Mon. Pontoon getting a steady workout including the fireworks display Sat night. Easily several hundred boats cramming the NW quadrant of the lake. Fireworks were good for a small town like Celina. Kudos to the the sponsors!

July isn't a productive time for bankfishing shallows of GLSM channels. I attempt to fish for 45 minutes each morning and evening. Doesn't always work out. Caught 14 crappie so far with 4 keepers....that's considerably better production than norm. Water temp is 76, a couple degrees under last week. Water clarity suffers with each week deeper into summer, but better clarity than most years. Our normal algae is not evident. A different strain creeping into the picture that resembles the prevalent algae from 2010 GLSM blowup. It's presence is scattered, not everywhere, and likely will get worse with hotter temperatures. No one knows how severe it will go. Good reason to be concerned.

Things are never perfect but what a great place America is!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,465 ·
Been quite u all right Zara
Awww. So nice to know I've been missed. Thanks, BC! Just the dog days of summer eating into my fishing time and results. The catching from bank slides to a trickle. My log says I caught 24 crappie in July, really not that bad considering some years it was a skunking for the entire month. 20 of the 24 were bagged by July 6th. Remainder of the month caught but 4. August is on a better pace at 29 so far with 23 caught T-Th this week. I returned to traditional GLSM baits that work for me, traditional colors, which I credit for the slightly improved catch rates, Rarely any keepers but the short ones aren't as short as last year. Looking forward to the fall when fish population in channels begins to rise.

GLSM had an unbelievable run with water quality thru June, the likes of which was unseen for 12 years. We hit a bump around the 4th of July and toxin numbers started to rise. Experts expected algae issues to get worse until early August when algae conditions peak. Scattered areas, usually very stagnant spots without wind, did pop up with unsightly surface crud. All beaches are open, water caution signs down, and water testing shows microcystins at record low levels for GLSM.
The scientists say our spring algae issues normally come from heavy spring rain producing runoff from fields, No runoff this year...............lake looked pristine. Summer algae issues come from phosphates and nitrogen already in the lake. Warming water breaks down bonds and allows legacy gunk on the bottom to rise in the water column. Those nutrients feed algae. We got some of that this year, but subdued and very mild compared to the last 11 years. All the dredging apparently having an impact, farmers practicing better management of fertilizer and manure, plus no spring runoff equals vastly improved water quality. Great to see now but no guarantees for next year. Mother Nature can't be held at bay for long, runoff will return.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,466 ·
Fished from bank tonight for hour before dark. First bait produced no bites. 2nd bait was the same no bite scenario. 3rd bait, same spot, caught 5 crappie. Go figure! 2.5 to 4' of water. Plan to fish 1-2.5' water in the morning. 😁

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,467 ·
Tues AM bank fished 2 hours early. Started at a shallow backend of a channel with a lot of variety within a 40x50' area. Very little seawall, multiple large floating logs, some rocky bank, a few limbs, an old boat slip, and an aerator that creates significant current circulation. Water depth ranges from 4" to 2.5", mostly under 20". Picked up 4 crappie 5' out along a rocky bank in 2' of water and 2 along floating logs with water depth a foot deep. All crappie were is areas of low current flow. When the bite slowed I moved to another spot that produced no bites. Moved again to the area fished the previous night with some success. it's runs about a foot to 18' deeper, predominately seawall banks with suspended stake beds 4-12" out. Caught 3 crappie here. Total of 9 for the 2 hour morning walking session.

Fished again Tuesday evening for an hour before dark. Same spots fished as in in the morning but skipped the spot that was without a morning bite. The shallow backend produced 6 crappie again. Caught 4 at the slightly deeper area, all seawall banked with the stake beds. 10 crappie in the evening hour session is a decent catch rate. 19 for the day(2 sessions) is the best I've had for the summer. Yep, you can find crappie surprisingly shallow in the summer.

Water temp is 73.7 degrees and water clarity seems to be improving........water less green. Monkey Milk was a good color today as was chartreuse.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yep, you can find crappie surprisingly shallow in the summer.
Yes it surprises me too sometimes just how shallow you can find summer crappie. Every year I'll take a few days and fish super shallow water...just to see what's going on. It never fails to amaze me when I get into a good school. I've had some days when I can see them flash when they go after a bait.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,471 ·
Came to GLSM Thurs evening and fished 7:15-8:30. Water temp 80.6 compared to 73.7 last week and depth off my seawall virtually steady at 36". Caught 4 crappie, one a keeper. 1st legal fish in 2 mos. To keep things entertaining also caught 9 gills, a yellow belly, and 17" channel cat that was fun on my crappie rod.

Back out this morning at 7:30 until 9:15am. 5 crappie this morning, also 14 gills. While keeper crappie continue scarce in my channel, size of gills is above average. Fished from bank. Crappie were all taken from water depth 1-4'. Chartreuse or pearl colors were effective.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,472 ·
Friday evening before dark caught 5 crappie, 1 keeper from 3 spots. Saturday in 2 morning hours caught 10 crappie, 1 keeper.....more activity than night before. 2 crappie came from a very shallow back end. Remaining 8 came from seawall, 3-4 fow with submerged wood or pvc stake beds roughly 2-8' off the bank. Plastics in pearl and chartreuse variations were effective 20-30" under bobber. Slowly getting in to keeper size fish, a welcome change, but far from a bucket full. Morning fishing consistently better than evenings.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,473 ·
Saturday morning bite was more active, therefore I fished longer. Session lasted nearly 2.5 hours, partly due to 30 extra minutes trying to get crappie #11. It didn't work. Caught 10, zero the last 1/2 hour. Most crappie were 7-8", 1 officially legal and a couple within quarter inch of legal. That's normal, that is smaller fish in channel early. Size improves as we move into and through the fall bite. It's coming, but way early.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,474 ·
Great Labor Day extended weekend for food, beverages, boating, and people fun. Saturday afternoon, evening, night was a washout. Rain set in late afternoon with a few downpours spaced between steady showers. Neighbor commented on Sunday his rain gage measured 0.9 inches.

Labor Day is our smallest lake holiday party. Mainly family members and a few visitors occasionally mixed in.

My bank fishing for crappie is minimal. Mornings for 60 minutes, maybe 90 minutes max. Rest of the day is too busy and evenings I'm grilling. Boat traffic in the channels is high. All property owners are at their homes and entertaining. Most of my normal fishing spots therefore are not available to fish. Saturday morning I caught 1 crappie......no skunk! Sunday morning gave up 4 crappie, one a keeper. Monday tally improved to 6 crappie, again one a keeper. Gill bites are plentiful and nearly session I'll get into one channel cat to get the adrenalin pumping. The cats aren't huge, typically 17-20" range, and provide an awesome tug-of-war on my light line, long pole, crappie rig.

Channel crappie will become more numerous over the coming weeks. Admit I'm not confident about a robust fall bite. Quantity of fish may be ok. Quality/size is the concern. We've been spoiled with many seasons of 60-70% of catch keepers. Last fall was way off that mark. Fall of 2021 may not show any improvement. Hoping to be surprised.....

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,475 ·
A friend and I bank fished GLSM Friday for 90 minutes in morning, 2 hours starting at 2 pm, and 20 minutes prior to darkness. My partner in crime caught 20 crappie, 23 for me. Good quantity, quality not so good. 4 keepers, largest at 10". Majority of fish 6.5 - 8.5" which is better than last year at this time. Most fish caught in water 3-4' tight to submerged cover. Chartreuse best color. Smaller baits preferred. Mid-afternoon bite best....in the shade. We had fun.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Friday first light- surface temp 71. Started out trying some deep structure. Nobody home. After that I moved on to check some shady spots that have produced in the late summer/fall in the past and got a few to bite. 6 fish all in the 9" range. A couple here and a couple there. Not piled up yet anywhere that I tried. Silver shad stump bug for me. I had a feeling you might have been out Friday morning Zara and had intentions to stop through there to say hi but I ran out of time.. Looking forward to some cooler days, and water temps, to come.
Water Fluid Bird Beak Fish

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,478 ·
Friday first light- surface temp 71. Started out trying some deep structure. Nobody home. After that I moved on to check some shady spots that have produced in the late summer/fall in the past and got a few to bite. 6 fish all in the 9" range. A couple here and a couple there. Not piled up yet anywhere that I tried. Silver shad stump bug for me. I had a feeling you might have been out Friday morning Zara and had intentions to stop through there to say hi but I ran out of time.. Looking forward to some cooler days, and water temps, to come.
View attachment 475714
Good to hear you're out, RMK. I just came in from a 3:30-5pm Sunday session. It's been a good time to play with the crappie as long as you stay in the shade. Caught 7, 3 were legal 9. In my hour early this morning I caught 4, one legal. Bluegrass pattern this afternoon, chartreuse in morning. Friend caught 12 this morning, one a bit over 9".Between us we caught 80 crappie Fri-Sunday....about 10 legal but just one of those 10".

I'm surprised you didn't shoot toons. Hasn't been productive for me yet but I think it's time.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,479 ·
Water temp 71 Mon morning and water level down 1.5" in a week. Managed to catch 12 this morning(Monday) 8-9:30. Unlikely I will fish again before leaving for home. Bluegrass color and submerged wood in 3-3.5' water depth gave up 10 of the 12 crappie. Keeper rate very low, 10% maybe. Stay away if you're fishing for meat 😁.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good to hear you're out, RMK. I just came in from a 3:30-5pm Sunday session. It's been a good time to play with the crappie as long as you stay in the shade. Caught 7, 3 were legal 9. In my hour early this morning I caught 4, one legal. Bluegrass pattern this afternoon, chartreuse in morning. Friend caught 12 this morning, one a bit over 9".Between us we caught 80 crappie Fri-Sunday....about 10 legal but just one of those 10".

I'm surprised you didn't shoot toons. Hasn't been productive for me yet but I think it's time.
toons were my choice of shade, and where i caught my fish. i just wasnt going to mention that part haha

5461 - 5480 of 5504 Posts