Ohio Game Fishing banner
5441 - 5460 of 5504 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,441 ·
High school buddy and I fished GLSM Tues noon thru Thurs evening. We did not find the robust spawn bite we expected. Water temps had been off as much as 11 degrees from low 60's several weeks ago. Variable clarity didn't help, choco milk in many places, and post front conditions. Add to that a sudden surge of carp mating action was adding insult to injury. Crappie will shy away from boisterous carp bull-dozing, usually not too far away, but will temporarily vacate. In general the crappie we found were 10-20' off the bank and at times 3' or more under bobber. No crappie bigger than 12" this trip and I did catch 1 dink white crappie. A ton of boat traffic in my channel and elsewhere this week.....3 bass or crappie tourneys this weekend.

We caught 11 Tues PM, 21 Weds, 22 Thurs. My buddy caught more crappie than me, but my 14 keepers nearly tripled his 5. Most fish caught in Stump Bugs in black/chartreuse or black/green patterns. The "slick" stump bug pattern also produced well, it kind of resembles monkey milk color, but rarely hooked a keeper. We did not keep fish....not my style to remove crappie during spawn. Why retain a fish so close to producing babies? Sorry, but harvesting crappie within a few days of reproduction is not logical if you're a fisherman. It's your choice and I choose to abstain. We had fun but expected more.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We got out for a few hours on Thursday. Our spots we fished on Wednesday had dried up or those fish were still nursing their sore lips from the previous day and weren't going to be fooled again. It took a while but we eventually found a pocket of shallow fish. My wife got the best one today. Pruple/chart was the color of choice, just like the day before. Black/chart came in a close 2nd.

Unfortunately our Cumberland trip got canceled for this week so I guess I'll just be fishing local. With any luck we'll be able to continue to find some good fish around here.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,444 ·
Tues at GLSM started slow. Caught 3 short ones in the morning. Not much of a bite so opted to address a bloated list of chores. Back out at 12:30pm, hitting 2 of my spots which have been empty the last 10 days. No change at the first....disappointing. Second spot has been more puzzling. A backend of a channel, shallow and in the past a consistent producer of some piggies. No piggies this day, but 3 tuxedo attired short males found my jig. I've feared the 2021 crappie spawn was sputtering. At least in my channel, evidence looks like it's tank is near empty.

Made a pit stop at the lakehouse which turned into a full scale gutter cleaning project. At 5pm was re-inspired for another fishing session. Clearly catching isn't working and dictates more dramatic change. Hiked to a channel west where a spot has been inconsistent, but can very good at times. Easily was best action of the day though the bar was set pretty low. Caught 11 in 90 minutes. Actually caught those 11 in 60 minutes. Last half hour silent. First of 4 keepers was a white crappie and got another short white later. Most of keepers came when I adjusted jig depth to 3' and deeper. All 11 crappie came on Stump Bug plastics. 10 of those bit a pattern they call Confetti. It's white on bottom half, translucent upper half with with multicolored speckles. I've had good experiences with this pattern, though hadn't tied it on lately. After a few weeks of using Stump Bugs, I'm a strong fan.

Late day water temp 68+ degrees. Clarity was not as good where I caught fish compared to places I blanked. Maybe spawn still has legs?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,445 ·
Wednesday this week fished 2 sessions. Total was 11 caught, 5 keepers in dwindling action and water temps ready to crack into 70's. Difficult to assess what the pattern is when bites are scarce. Not too much data to go on but I'm surprised that near bank bite is poor and fish really small. Better quality fish more likely to come 12-15'- out in channel and in water 5'+ if you can find it. Cover not required. Guessing the 3 cycles since March of 8-9 days warming, then 7 days cooling resulted in pushing fish out to spawn. My channel which runs mostly 3-5' was good in 1st heat/cool cycle, wimpy since. A nearby channel with substantial areas of 6-8' water has been better size and quantity during last 2 cycles.

Unfortunately, the deeper channel wimping out now too. If beds are deeper, remember to fish deeper. Very few egg loaded females showing up. Post spawn girls and guys will be around for as long as food supply keeps them, but sadly spawn bite growing short. Thurs AM caught just 2, 1 keeper before heading home.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm still finding some pockets of shallow fish here and there, nothing consistent. I'm not sure why but 2 spots still hold a decent amount with some bigger males. The females looked to be much slimmer these days.
I told a friend last week that it may be time to put the jig and cork and light weight jigs (1/32) away and get out some heavier 1/16 & 3/32 oz jigs.
One spot I normally catch fish shallow during the spawn had zero fish along the shore but fish were stacked up in 8-12 fow just out from that area. We caught a few just to confirm they were crappie and some were pretty good fish. We were on a quest for a last of the season shallow bite so we moved on to try a few more spots.
Our last spot held a few late fish but not what we've been finding.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,449 ·
Fished GLSM Monday morning before heading home. 90 minutes caught 7, 3 keepers. Highlight was this 12.5" on a black/chartreuse Stump Bug. Thought this one was likely a spawned out female. Others were all relatively dark males.

I came up Sunday evening to put pontoon into the water for the season. Fished briefly Sunday to catch 6, 3 keepers. Water temp 77 degrees. Hard to believe there are any crappie that haven't spawned yet with water that warm. Still fish hanging around to catch post-spawn.
Glasses Sky Cloud Sunglasses Grey

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will echo what others have said all spring. LOTS of short fish. A whole bunch of catching, but not many keepers. 6 am-10am yielded 8 keepers out of easily 75 fish. Most in the 4-6” range. Enough for my once a year fish fry for myself and better than sitting at home! Nasty nates single tail in a monkey milk pattern on a 1/80 ounce pink jig head.
Vertebrate Road surface Plant Asphalt Flooring

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,451 ·
Though the weather tried to spoil the Memorial Day summer kickoff, it was great to again experience a "normal" gathering of friends and family. While mankind can't control the weather, Mother Nature will turn it around soon. Thanks to tremendous American leadership last year, people can again socialize in the USA. Soon the world will reap similar benefit from American ingenuity.

We partied Thurs thru Mon, probably eating and drinking too much, but making up for a year's absence of in-person interaction. Sorry, but Zoom is a poor substitute for live and in-person.

Not much time to fish when hosting a house full. No fishing Th, caught 3 Fri, 4 Sat, and 4 Sunday. Not a keeper among those caught! Finally found freedom to fish Monday, catching 20 with 2 keepers. Monkey Milk was best pattern. Water temp just under 65 degrees and clarity far better than GLSM can claim during the last decade of Memorial Days. The run of dink crappie will correct itself. Summer will arrive. Hope springs eternal!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,452 ·
Late Tues went back to lake. Fished an hour before dark. Post spawn bite is wimpy. Caught 5, all dinks but 1 which barely cracked legal length.

Steady rain all day Weds. Painted inside most of the day. Ventured out twice for 30-40 minute fishing breaks, of course both times once outside the rain kicked up a couple notches. Caught 1 crappie late morning, a keeper male still sporting war paint. Felt sorry for that guy.....battered and beat up, fins and lower tail ragged and missing from tending beds for the spawning ladies. Caught 3 in the afternoon, 2 dinks and the 11.5" in photo. Usually I reserve photos for only those 12" or better but they've been few and far between since 2021 spawn ended.

Afternoon bite slightly better than morning.....fewer carp creating havoc. All fish Weds caught on Stump Bugs, a black/chartreuse color or monkey milk version they call "slick". The few I caught were farther out than normal, 12-20' off bank and beyond known submerged cover. Water temp steady at 65 degrees and water clarity decent. Rain was insufficient to muddy the waters.
Tree Beard Plant Sky Hat

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,455 ·
Arrived GLSM in time to fish Tues evening for 45 minutes before dark. Pleasantly surprised to catch 7 crappie, 3 legal from one of the 2 spots I hit. Interesting that the males are still donned in spawn colors.

Water clarity is decent but stained understandably from recent rain. Cottonwood fluff on water wasn't evident Tues evening. I'd like to say cottonwood is over with. More likely its absence the result of complete calm, no wind.

Best bait Tues was the Stump Bug in "slick" pattern. Slick color resembles Monkey Milk. Fish I caught were on submerged cover 12-15' from bank in 4-5' of water. My bait was fished 3' under bobber to keep plastic just above cover below. I've had that same plastic tied on that rod for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Interesting that the males are still donned in spawn colors.
We fished some post spawn spots in 12-18 fow and caught nada, nothing, zilch. Most years the big girls would stack up on these spots after the rigors of spawn and eat like crazy.
After checking 3 spots we headed for some summer lairs in 10-18 fow. Lots of shad balls around and so were the crappie. Plenty of males sporting color. We caught so many in fact I was wondering if we still had a few late spawning females nearby but all the girls looked nice and slim, all ready for summer.

Those stump bugs are some kind of tough little buggers....wow, 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,457 ·
We fished some post spawn spots in 12-18 fow and caught nada, nothing, zilch. Most years the big girls would stack up on these spots after the rigors of spawn and eat like crazy.
After checking 3 spots we head for some summer lairs in 10-18 fow. Lots of shad balls around and so were the crappie. Plenty of males sporting color. We caught so many in fact I was wondering if we still had a few late spawning females nearby but all the girls looked nice and slim, all ready for summer.

Those stump bugs are some kind of tough little buggers....wow, 3 weeks.
Hey, c-dude. I thought twice about leaving in my post the statement "3 weeks with the same bait(Stump Bug) tied on". Is it proof the Stump Bugs are tough little buggers or does it suggest I haven't caught many crappie the last 3 weeks? Truth is a bit of both. Those baits are durable and my crappie numbers have sagged big time compared to March thru mid May.
I'm glad I read your endorsement of these plastics last year, plus RMK gave me a few of the baits earlier this year to try. Been a fan since my first bait got wet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anyone else think the lake level is kind of low for Mid June? I drove on Lake Shore Drive yesterday and I think I saw some signs of the algae reported in the Daily Stannard. Anyone else seeing this? I haven't been out much this year since I've been catching up on work on the house since recovering from cancer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone else think the lake level is kind of low for Mid June? I drove on Lake Shore Drive yesterday and I think I saw some signs of the algae reported in the Daily Stannard. Anyone else seeing this? I haven't been out much this year since I've been catching up on work on the house since recovering from cancer.
We haven't gotten much rain lately. This weekend will help

5441 - 5460 of 5504 Posts