Ohio Game Fishing banner

5361 - 5380 of 5385 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm going to give it a try later today. I haven't been out since ice out been too busy chasing toothy critters😆. If anyone will be out feel free to message me

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,363 · (Edited)
Grandson(age 10), nephew(12) and I hit GLSM Thurs evening thru Fri 5pm for our annual Spring break crappie overnighter. Rained the entire drive up but we lucked into an hour break from rain at 6pm Thurs....stayed relatively dry for close to 90 minutes of fishing. Water clarity was good, bite not good, but everyone got off the skunkline. Nephew caught 6, grandson 1, 4 for me. Little did we know the fish would be maybe 1/2 as active Fri morning and faded all day.

We fished hard and long Fri. These guys normally don't have near the persistence I have for catching, but delightfully surprised me this trip. They matched me minute for minute in effort. Might have helped that I setup up a $5 reward to the one, excluding me, to catch the most crappie. :D Shame that fish weren't cooperating, but frustration is one of the lessons fishing requires you to deal with. They pressed on, no quit in the boys. Grandson managed 3 more craps on Fri lifting his total to 4. Nephew caught same number on Fri, adding 3 more to his 6 on Thurs. I caught 11 Fri to total 15. That was easily the toughest bite I've seen since ice out. A brighter note, quality of fish was again edging in a good direction. The boys had 2 keepers and I added 8. 10 keepers from 38 is decent. We each caught a few gills between the crappie to keep it interesting.

Boys needed a "guy" outing. Good time, lots of laughs, they both showed improving skills with fishing basics, and should have many smiles to recollect in future. 😁😁😁

Our colors that caught fish were Monkey Milk, black/chartreuse, key lime, bluegrass. The latter two are chartreuse variants. Also, chartreuse Gulp 1" caught a couple late when other baits no longer generated interest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats on catching them on a slowww day. I tried it for an hour in 2 northeast channels with only 1 bite. I hit Indian for 6 hours in the evening for saugeye and got the big ol goose egg. 1 white bass and saw only 2 shorts caught all night! The forecast doesn't look too favorable in the next few days. Was dead at indian for crappie too talked to few who went all over it and got nothing.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Congrats on catching them on a slowww day. I tried it for an hour in 2 northeast channels with only 1 bite. I hit Indian for 6 hours in the evening for saugeye and got the big ol goose egg. 1 white bass and saw only 2 shorts caught all night! The forecast doesn't look too favorable in the next few days. Was dead at indian for crappie too talked to few who went all over it and got nothing.
glad to hear others struggled. thought it was just us. we made our first trip to alum and felt a little defeated catching 6 shorts. so we dropped into indian on our way home to hit a spot real quick before continueing home. 1 possible keeper was the only bite and fish caught before heading home.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,366 ·
Made it to GLSM at 2pm Monday. Bank fishing at 2:30pm. 1st spot for 1/2 hour caught 4. The single keeper was a 10". Moved thinking I could do better. Over the next hour 4 spots produced 3 bites total, but did catch a keeper 11" from my only bite there. Quit at 4 pm with 2 keepers from 5 fish that thankfully tried to eat my bait.

Did some yard work and ate dinner before daring to try again at 6:30.

Was getting bites, mostly timid ones, but no hookups. Grabbed my 2nd rod already rigged with an Itty Bit. Caught 11, all but 1 really small. Had no confidence the run of small fish would change so quit for the day. Hopefully, pattern will change tomorrow. 😁 😁
Checked water temp, 50 degrees. Surprised me the bite was so puny with 50 degree water.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,367 · (Edited)
Caught 6 with 2 keepers in AM session, 6 after lunch with 4 keepers. Bite was tough and slow but better fish quality. I got out late for my evening session and would have been content to catch 2-3 more. Surprise....got into one of those flurries of action right before dark. Caught 10 with 5 keepers in 45 minutes. 22 with 11 keepers is best day of year for quality fish

Fished 17-20" under bobber in 3-4.5' of water. 49 degree water temp. Good ripple on the water with 20-30 mph wind. All keepers ate a bluegrass Itty Bit. Fished 7 spot today. 5 of the 7 spots gave me at most 1 bite, no fish. Nice to see better quality specks again. All were black crappie, 4 between 11- 11.75".

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,369 ·
Good day. 16 keepers from 24 caught. Only caught 1 crappie in that 4-6" size that's been dominant since ice out. Panfish Assassin was best bait (chartreuse variations) but split joker tail worked as did a motor oil triple tip grub I'm fond of.

Couple of males were caught in 18" of water laying next to logs, transitioning into spawn war paint, with beat up tails. Mostly 10-10.5" solid fish today, really spunky on the end of your line. Good number of 11" but none over 11.25".

Fish were all on cover, with just a few close to the bank. Most 8-10' from bank, on wood/brush, and PVC stake beds, 18-30" under bobber. Caught 2 bass today, one a 14" chunk that's fun on a a crappie rod.

Good time of year and it will get better. 57.7 water temp.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,370 ·
After my 16 keeper day Weds I thought I had it figured out. Thurs early AM started ok but bite faded fast. Caught 11 with 5 keepers. Just 1 of the 11 caught after 2pm.

Friday found similar results. 6 early morning fish with 4 keepers. Fished off my seawall next. Not a bite until the 11.75" photo fish inhaled my plastic.
IMG_20210409_101629011.jpg

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thursday and Saturday. 1st halves of the day. Water temp 58 Thursday and up to 63 today. I was hesitant to say it because I feel it's pretty early, but there is some spawning going on. It will be interesting to find out what next week's cool down does to things. Fish relating to structure near rock and seawalls. Big fish Thursday were 2 females pushing the 12" mark and Saturday a nicely colored 11.5" male. Grandlake Crappie Series starts up tomorrow and The Western Buckeye Crappie Cup kicks off next Sunday.

White Crappie at GLSM always get an honorable mention from me.
Nice to talk to you Thursday Zara.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,372 · (Edited)
Good report and photos, RMK! Like we discussed I'm with you on the conclusion "spawn has started". Temps are there, more and more males are looking the part in tuxedo and beat up tails, females showing up..... I'd call it early into spawn but elements are there. Plus, this has been a nice sustained warmup with water temps rising over several weeks. Interesting to see if spawn hits a snag with protracted cooler weather next week.

Like the pic of the white......maybe something going on with the white crappie population at the lake? I think I've already caught as many whites this year as all of last year. Just saying.....

The plastic hanging from the in your photo of the white......I used that bait Thurs and during my limited Friday fishing. I got positive results on the bait, including the 11.75" in last photo I posted. Do you know if any of local tackle guys are stocking it? I've found it online, but doubtful I'll get delivery before a Weds group fish next week. If none local you are aware, don't worry about it.

Good luck on the tourney trail. You and Scott will be busy. Keep us up to date with the action.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not positive on anything local unfortunately. Brushpile fishing website carries them and although shipping would be involved it's similar to buying local. There is a smsll chance I might be able able to get hands on some by Wednesday. I ll let you know if I can.
The mentioned bait is from bone head tackle. Slim sticks and stump bugs are what I ve been interested in, and experimenting with. The slim stick seems pretty similar to a Bobby garland baby shad but much more durable.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,374 ·
Not positive on anything local unfortunately. Brushpile fishing website carries them and although shipping would be involved it's similar to buying local. There is a smsll chance I might be able able to get hands on some by Wednesday. I ll let you know if I can.
The mentioned bait is from bone head tackle. Slim sticks and stump bugs are what I ve been interested in, and experimenting with. The slim stick seems pretty similar to a Bobby garland baby shad but much more durable.
RMK...Don't worry about finding any for me. I have some on order, expected delivery Weds or Thurs, which is fine. If they don't arrive for my fishing group, it's not that big a deal. Have plenty of other plastics to spread around. Just figured if a local retailer carried it would be insurance. Appreciate your efforts. (y)

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I have become a real fan of Bonehead Tackle. I like using tube jigs but they are delicate and tear up too easily, it's hard to keep tubes up on the hook. With standard tubes I use 6-10 baits per day. After trying some of the stump bugs last year I have made the switch on most colors to the stump bugs this year. I can normally fish 1 bait all day and a lot of times, I'll get 2 or 3 days out of a bait. When I want a little bigger bait I'll use the 2 3/8 Slim Sticks. Great bait.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,376 ·
I have become a real fan of Bonehead Tackle. I like using tube jigs but they are delicate and tear up too easily, it's hard to keep tubes up on the hook. With standard tubes I use 6-10 baits per day. After trying some of the stump bugs last year I have made the switch on most colors to the stump bugs this year. I can normally fish 1 bait all day and a lot of times, I'll get 2 or 3 days out of a bait. When I want a little bigger bait I'll use the 2 3/8 Slim Sticks. Great bait.
C-dude......I knew I'd read a previous post by you that spoke positively about Bonehead plastics. Was thinking the post was sometime last year. So when a 2nd of my favorite crappie guys mentioned Bonehead, it got my attention. I used the Stump Bug 1st time last week on one rod, rotating it with 2 other rods rigged with other baits I use regularly. It wasn't a great day, wasn't a lengthy trial, but Stump Bug results were better than one of the other baits, and competitive with the other on that day.

Knowing I can catch fish on them I've ordered some other colors. Later this week I should get a chance to play with the slim sticks. Good call, c-dude!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Zara, yes last year was my 1st year using Bonehead Lures. After a friend gave me a purple/chart Slim Stick, I soon became a (skeptical) fan. They needed a little more investigating. I bought like $60+ dollars worth of lures and messed with them all summer and winter. So far, so good.

Here's a pic of my go to baits I use everyday in & out. (I have no secrets) Of the 21 compartments 9 are Bonehead baits. Crappie fishing isn't really about what bait to use, it's like real estate....it's about location, location, location.
On the left side, there are white & chart 3" twisters and we have had good success with these for post spawn fish the last 3 or 4 years. Mind you we are tageting larger fish with the bigger baits and (at times) we've had good success with them. I often wonder if it's the bait we're thowing or if it's just a matter of us fishing in areas where the larger fish have moved to rest up after the spawn.
I used most of that 1st order up and I just recieved my 2nd good order from Bonehead this past week in preperation for a couple of upcoming trips. Watts Bar in Tn this month, then Cumberland in Ky in May.
One color stump bug they don't have but I would like to see is red/chart. Before I place my next order I'm probably going to email them and see if they may be an option in the future.
My normal progression of baits is tubes or stump bugs in cold(er) water. As the water warms I'll go to the bigger shad body style. (I can't say this matters too much though) Right now with the water in the upper 50's-low 60's, I'm having good success on both. We've been finding pockets of fish right on the bank and are having positive results using jig and cork with a stump bug or swimming slim sticks on a 1/32oz weedless jig.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I like fishing tubes also. They are one of the best baits for catching crappies. I always use a drop of glue to keep them from tearing up so much! It will make your tubes last a lot longer before getting tore up.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,379 ·
I like fishing tubes also. They are one of the best baits for catching crappies. I always use a drop of glue to keep them from tearing up so much! It will make your tubes last a lot longer before getting tore up.
C-dude.......At boneheadtackle.com look at the Crazy Chicken color. Might satisfy the color pattern you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I used to do the super glue thing on my tubes years ago. As I've gotten older my hands have gotten a little shakier.
Last time I used super glue it was a hell of a mess. The tube stayed in place but so did my fingers. LOL:ROFLMAO:

5361 - 5380 of 5385 Posts