Ohio Game Fishing banner

5341 - 5360 of 5385 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Hey crappiedude,did you get a water temp at E F ? thanks in advance

Honestly I didn't pay any attention to it but I think my friend said it was upper forties when we launched at 1:00.
I'm sure this cold rain is cooling it off a few degrees.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's always a good thing to see Zara's GLSM's crappie thread come back to life.
I finally made it out for my 1st trip since the ice shut us down yesterday. All the flooding we've had on the southern border (Ohio River) caused the COE to hold our lakes back which caused the lakes to flood. This recent dry spell has been good and although my home lake is still 6' high, it has dropped 10' but the ramps are all opened back up.
Like others have said smaller baits are always a favorite early in the year and I turned to my stand by (tube jigs) and color didn't seem to matter as we caught fish on every combo we tried but we mostly fished chart/black and chart/purple. We never kept track of how many we caught but the action was non-stop. Our biggest being a black just a tad under 12".
View attachment 466073

It was a great day to be out and a great way to start the season.
sounds like a great day! still amazes me your lakes fluctuate more in depth than we have total in our lake... crazy

·
Registered
748 Posts
Fished a tournament there once where the water came up 6 feet---in 10 hours....Another time, parked my truck and trailer in the lot, and when I returned 8 hours later, the water was lapping at the tires and I had to tie the boat to a post and sign in nearby....and Deer Creek and Paint Creek can be worse. Paint has been 40-50 feet over normal pool.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Fished a tournament there once where the water came up 6 feet---in 10 hours....Another time, parked my truck and trailer in the lot, and when I returned 8 hours later, the water was lapping at the tires and I had to tie the boat to a post and sign in nearby....and Deer Creek and Paint Creek can be worse. Paint has been 40-50 feet over normal pool.
I remember those day very well, it's not as easy as you think to get the trailer backed into the ramp when the water is covering everything.
What amazes me is that it really doesn't seem to hurt the fishing any. Paint Creek is my favorite lake to fish and like you pointed out it fluctuates even worse than EF.

sounds like a great day! still amazes me your lakes fluctuate more in depth than we have total in our lake... crazy
It can be a challenge to fish some days. These flood control lakes can rise really fast and the then drop them 2'-3' per day.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I remember those day very well, it's not as easy as you think to get the trailer backed into the ramp when the water is covering everything.
Ramp?? We don't need no stinking ramp! LOL. The day I was talking about, the entire ramp was under several feet of water. All you could do was find the steepest incline and float the boat on using the trolling motor and pulling it up for the last few feet. Timing was everything. No way to drive it on safely.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,347 ·
Fished GLSM Saturday afternoon thru Monday noon. Watched Buckeye basketball game then fished during halftime, 6 crappie. Game over back out to catch 10 more. Keeping with the past few weeks, just 1 keeper among the 16. Water temp 48.7 surprised me since plus 10 degrees in about a week. Bites were frequent, but very light. Fish wouldn't grab it and go, just tap it and drop. Itty Bits in Key Lime and Monkey Milk gave the best shot for hookups. Fish I found were 10-15' off bank and just beyond submerged structure.

Sunday showed signs of a few bigger fish working their way back into channel. Caught 21 with 7 keepers in the mix. 3 of my first 5 were keepers and 5 of first 10 were keepers, but keeper rate fell off. Since fish on Saturday weren't eating the bait, I switched to Gulp 1" chartreuse baits. Fish did eat the Gulp better Sunday and majority were out a little further, 15-20' off bank and beyond submerged structure. In general found fish 20-30" under bobber. Panfish Assassins in Monkey Milk caught about 25% of fish. Mostly 18-24" under bobber.

Monday the wind and temps got challenging. Fish were harder to locate, but more inclined to eat the bait when you did. 7 caught with 2 keepers. First 3 came on Gulp, last 4 on Monkey Milk Panfish Assassin. In the wind and 29 degrees, Gulp required too much bait adjustment on the jig to tolerate. The 2 keepers were out in middle of channel, no cover. Hoped it was a school of bigger fish but couldn't locate others if they were there. Water temp 43.3 Mon, down 5 degrees in 48 hours. When sleet and rain became steady, packed up and headed home. 44 craps and 10 keepers for the 48 hours there. Gill bite was incredibly good. Easily caught more gills and more keepers than crappie. Unusual for GLSM to have gills like these.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,348 ·
Friday made it to GLSM in time to watch Buckeye debacle. Fished afterwards, caught 4 all short ones. Water temp a disappointing 43.7 degrees after broaching into 50's last weekend. Muddy water conditions, not choco milk. All bank fishing for me.

Saturday water temp 41.7.....wrong direction. Morning caught 13 with 1 keeper at 11". I gotta say there are a ton of 1st year craps learning lessons about fishhooks.More than 1/2 the short fish are 4" size. After lunch tried several other spots, all dry holes so made it back to the spot where I'd caught many dinks in the AM. Morning had strong sun, must have brought in a few better fish. Caught 9 with 4 keepers......all came on Monkey Milk Panfish Assassins. Fish were mainly on submerged structure, PVC fish attractors about 10' off seawalls. Evening session tried 2 spots, one empty so returned to same spot I'd caught most fish from earlier. Got 7 shorts and 1 keeper. Finished with 30 caught today, 6 keepers. Must say fish were more aggressive Saturday, higher in the water column. Mostly fished 20-30" under bobber.

Sunday water temp 42.6, positive movement but limited by mid-20 low temps last 2 nights. I fished 6 spots today from the bank. Bite was timid, light bumps, no hookups. I'm thinking either gills or small crappie, either way they weren't showing success at eating my plastics. Downsized baits to Itty Bits. The morning ended having caught 18, all short 4-8". The 8" I'll mention was a white crappie, only because we catch so few whites in GLSM. I skipped the after lunch session because had chores to do and was not inspired by the 18 fish run of short fish. Took a 3:30 pm break from chores, grabbed a rod, just fished off my seawall where I hadn't caught a fish either Friday or Saturday. Caught 12 in 45 minutes, no keepers. For the day I'm now 0 keepers from 30 crappie caught. Ate dinner grabbed rods, went out to at least catch 1 more crappie. If I couldn't get keepers, I at least wanted to catch 1 more fish than my Saturday total of 30. I caught that 1 in about 2 minutes, but the bite was crazy so kept fishing. In 45 minutes I caught fish number 26 of that evening session. It was a 10" keeper. Bite slowed when a pontoon cruised over the spot I was raiding. Worked another 15 minutes to end up catching 30 for the hour session.Caught 60 total for the day. My streak of no keepers lasted for 55 fish. Fish number 56 the only keeper! Catching a lot of fish is never painful.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,350 ·
Yep. This is typical. Patience, Grasshopper.

Reactions: RMK

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,351 ·
Departed for home Mon afternoon, but morning and lunch fishing sessions showed promise. Caught 20 for the day, 9 keepers, biggest 11". 6 of 9 keepers came near backend of channel, very shallow, gravel lined bank. Monkey Milk Panfish Assassin 14-18" under bobber. Water temp 44.7 in AM on Monday.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
We fished down here on Monday and it was a pretty slow day. Oh we probably had 35-40 fish but 1/2 were really small and the bites were few and far between. We did hit one honey hole right against the bank and it was stacked with fish. Fished jigs 12" deep and it was a hit every cast for about 20 minutes. That spot died as fast as it started. We spent the rest of the day fishing jigs 1' to 4' deep in 3-8 fow. We'd find a few here and there but nothing like that one spot along that bank.
Normally when we find those schools of shallow fish like that they are almost always black crappie.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,354 ·
Zara I was just wondering, do you still fish Brookville lake any? Thanks
MM.......Just once last year. To be frank I've never crappie fished at Bville, though I've caught a few. Usually target walleye and/or smallmouth there, neither of which are options at GLSM. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do you guys use live minnows on the artificials? How about just minnows, no artificial? Bringing my grandson up this week and would like to get him in some crappie.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,357 ·
Do you guys use live minnows on the artificials? How about just minnows, no artificial? Bringing my grandson up this week and would like to get him in some crappie.
Wil you be bank fishing or boat fishing with grandson?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Zaraspook, we'll be bank fishing. Was thinking of fishing near the Sportsmen's Club on the north side of the lake. Like I said, I'm not that familiar with the lake.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,359 ·
I'm a fan of fishing the baits and techniques you're most comfortable and confident with. If that's minnows, do it. If it's small jigs with any of the thousand of plastics available, do it. If it's both do that, too. If it"s Gulp Alive 1" minnows, do it. All work some of the time; none work all the time. May the fish catching gods be with you.

5341 - 5360 of 5385 Posts