grace period for new boat

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by imalt, Nov 26, 2008.

1. imalt

imalt Banned

i just bought a boat and wanted to take it out tomorrow but the old registration expired in march. is htere any kind of grace period because the closest place to get a registration is eastfork and i really dont want to drive all the way down there i just wanted to take it out one time before i put it away until spring. is it a bad idea to head out to csesars creek tomorrow with an expired registration

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

If your bill of sales was for the same day I would say you'd be OK. Knowing the tags are expired you could get a ticket. If you explain that you just got the boat and wanted to try it out you may be OK. Call the park office or ODNR and see what they say. I don't think there is a "grace" period.

3. imalt

imalt Banned

i might try to call them i figure the ticket is pretty expensive i bet

4. Tennessee

Tennessee Team Stratos

never been stopped for registration check at Ceasers Creek, actually nowhere I fish, but you are taking a chance, worst you could get is a ticket, good advice from Dale, but if you decide to go out anyways I wouldnt call the park office because they will say no and may even draw some attention to you, and guess who will show up to check registrations, I always take mine to the river to test out, usually no one there, where do you live at? you can get registrations at any boat shop

5. I am not 100% certain but if the enforcement officers have any humanity in them they should understand you just bought it and want to make sure all was in order before you legally changed the title.

P.S. Also, I think if you catch a muskie it might ease the pain of a ticket ;).

6. you can operate your boat with a bill of sale for up to 45 days if it is a new boat, and 30 days on a casual sale from person to person which gives you some time for title work. Always carry it with you and have your safety equipment.

7. imalt

imalt Banned

i got the new title wednesday just all the local places that sold registrations sent their stickers back nov 15th so now its either columbus or eastfork and i dont want to spend the gas money to go all the way there just to take my boat out one time until spring. the bill of sale is older then 30 days i just got the boat running this week