GPS waypoints?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fletch, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

My waypoints on my lowrance LCX-15 lost it's mind or something.
    I tried to go back to some waypoints that I previously set and it seemed way off. So on my way back to the ramp I watched the GPS for the boat ramp. I checked the position error and it said 38 feet. Tried it several times/trips and each time it would be off east or west and/or a little north or south.
    I wonder if any of the GPS guru's can provide suggestions on making my waypoints more accurate.
    I know that the government tweaked the satellites not too long ago. But my problems seemed to start happening this year and I think they made changes to the satellites a while back.
    I'm checked to see if I was hitting multiple satellites - Yep, hitting several at all times.

Thanks,
    Fletch

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

How old is your GPS?

Some of the older units were only accurate to approx 50 feet.
    Newer one's are more exact.

3. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

My GPS was purchased in 2001 at the same time I bought the new boat.
    I didn't know that the newer ones were more accurate. I thought it was a government specification change due to terrorist attacks etc..

I have updated the software on it. I think it was update on 2003. I checked the lowrance web page for software updates in 2004 and all of the notes said there was no need to update it. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back and check to see if I can update it again.

I just thought it was strange that my waypoints started moving so much. They've always been pretty close up till this year.

4. Try to restore your factory settings (not sure which menu that's on). Sounds like WAAS may have been switched off...or something similar. Save all your data first

5. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Yep, tried that while on the lake.
    I didn't see a menu item for WAAS specifically. I did see options for DGPS, which may be the same thing or similar?
    Thanks