Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a new vhf radio in my boat and it has the wiring for a gps connection...do you guy have yours connected??? is it nessessary??? dont have a boat gps YET...just a portable...will be getting one soon and am a little:confused: :confused: as to all the options...and will all brands interchange or do i need to keep them the same??? i dont want to waste $$ on something just to end up with the wrong setup!!!

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
That feature has only been around a little while. Kind of neat I guess. Send a MAYDAY with your coordinates.

You will have to see what the specification of the interconnect is. Without knowing the make and model of your radio, not much anyone can do to help answer your question.

Unless you are boating on "big" water being monitored by the USCG, I doubt the feature will be viable.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
I have a Matrix 20 (humminbird) with GPS, and I just added a ICOM vhf radio with DSC. On my specific unit, the pigtail from the humminbird has 3 wires (power, data, ground). Only the data and ground wires were used, spliced to a RCA connector plug, which connects to the RCA plug on the radio. I also have a Garmin fishfinder which is GPS compatible, and according to the instructions it uses a similar setup. If you have a fishfinder w/GPS it should have instructions to tell you which wires to use, along with the instructions with the radio.

I have no need for it here on my local lakes, and only installed it for my trips to Erie.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks!!! that being said do all marine gps unit have external wiring or only certain ones??? saw a few on ebay at a good price but dont know if they are wired for this or not...
p.s. the radio is ''standard horizon quest+'' from cabelas...will be used on erie often and i do consider that ''big water'':D

·
1,288 Posts
I don't know about the units with internal antenna. Mine has an external, and the cable from antenna to unit has about a 1' pigtail coming off the end that plugs into the unit, which is an output for other GPS compatible devices. I'd say almost all current units would have some way of hooking up. But check with a sales rep with knowledge, or ask to see the manual before purchasing.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hey wave warrior was wondering if you could post a pic of the back of the radios hook ups i was thinking of getting one of those. I didnt realize it would have to be hooked up to the sonars gps hardware/puck I know when i got the sonar/gps it came with a splitter thought that was for another sonar unit on the front of the boat but maybe its for a radio also.
________
Herbal Vaporizers Vaporization

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey wave warrior was wondering if you could post a pic of the back of the radios hook ups i was thinking of getting one of those. I didnt realize it would have to be hooked up to the sonars gps hardware/puck I know when i got the sonar/gps it came with a splitter thought that was for another sonar unit on the front of the boat but maybe its for a radio also.
no pics but i'm sure those wires will go to the radio...will add a link to the radio i got on sale at cabelas!!!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...x=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=vhf+radio&noImage=0

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The VHF radio does not have to be hooked up to the GPS, but it is a good safety feature if you are up on Lake Erie and your unit supports GPS. Some units can broadcast your GPS coordinates - some are two way and can broadcast and receive GPS locations.

Here's a link to a new Cobra unit that has two way GPS:

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=476&id=1
the manual says mine will send and receive when hooked to a gps and continually send coordinates when you press the ''OH [email protected]'' button!!!:p

·
1,288 Posts
cw261 is right, you don't have to have it hooked up to gps to operate the radio. Mine has a distress button that will automatically send my coordinates should I get in trouble and have to call for help. Otherwise, you can just call for help and read off the coordinates from your gps.

Ooops, I see you found that button. :D I believe any new radios now being manufactured are required to be equipped with DSC. I'll need to read up more on mine about receiving coordinates when receiving a distress call.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
sweet unit CW i guess I was thinking on the units that had the gps distress button you wouldnt have to hook up to anything for that option to work . i think I heard somewhere you do have to register your radio though and that one has me confused only heard about reistering a radio one time and nothing more any input would be great
________
big women Cam

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Digital Selective Calling (DSC) is now required on all newly manufactured fixed mount VHF radios. When your VHF is interfaced with your GPS, it enables you to send your GPS coordinates to the USCG in an emergency with the push of a button. It will also allow you to transmit your coordinates to other DSC registered users when making normal radio contact with them. I think that is a useful feature but it only works if each user registers to get their 9 digit Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) and their VHF is interfaced with their GPS.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the dsc feature stands for digital selective calling ---if you had a mayday situation or even had the chance to push the dsc button on the radio---the coast guard station knows your position without trying to use thier radio direction finder(chicken roaster antenna) to find you---the coordinates from your gps are broadcast to them

last i checked---the lake erie coast guard was not capable of recieving the info---if anyone knows please post and ill hook mine back up

for more info
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Found this info in less than a minute:

How do I connect my GPS to the radio?

Below is a list that shows Manufacturers GPS and connections to the QUEST. The QUEST is supplied with an accessory cable that will allow connections. The QUEST is looking for GLL, RMB or RMC sentences in NMEA Version 2.0 or higher. The Baud rate should be set to 4800 and If there is a selection for parity select none.

The rest of the info found HERE

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Ok so the radio will send out the gps numbers and it doesnt have to be hooked to the gps from another unit is what im understanding. Did i read it right a from ledslingers post that the erie coast guard may not have the capabilities to receive that distress signal with the gps numbers in it automatically
________
LovelyWendie

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
The VHF must be connected to your GPS in order to transmit GPS coordinates.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
looking for a lil info on the lowrance 332c cant seem to find it in any of the manuals as of yet. The unit has 4 wires that i trust are for the radio gps part the colors are blue, yellow, orange and a bare wire the radio has a blue and a gray for the speaker and a green and a yellow for the gps was wondering if anyopne new what the color code for the lowrance 332 c was
________
MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES IN OC

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
looking for a lil info on the lowrance 332c cant seem to find it in any of the manuals as of yet. The unit has 4 wires that i trust are for the radio gps part the colors are blue, yellow, orange and a bare wire the radio has a blue and a gray for the speaker and a green and a yellow for the gps was wondering if anyopne new what the color code for the lowrance 332 c was
Here ya go ......http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/default.asp

Look for your model.

OOps I thought you could not find the manual.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts