close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Routes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nightprowler, May 16, 2008.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

This is for a person with general knowledge of how to use your GPS and mark/save waypoints. I tried to put it in simple terms, and hope it helps.
    I am using a handheld Garmin Etrex Blue Legend and have been for years. It is a good unit, but I never really used or understood routes. I finally took the time to figure it out and have a use for it. I started trolling a bit and have the need to stay at a general depth. I picked a fairly straight bank with a good ledge that I thought might hold fish for the time of year as my first learning course. I put out a floating orange marker in 20 fow as a starting point. Using the big motor, I went slowly down the bank and put another marker out in 20 fow, just aprox 50 yards. Then another at 100 and 200 yards in 20 fow. This was just a general course. I then turned around and started at the 200 mark and saved it as a waypoint (J1 --- a simple and short name). Then I slowly cruised from the 200 marker toward the 100 marker saving waypoints in 20 fow (20 fow comes closer to the bank in some spots and further away in others....by no means was it a straight line), about every 50 ft or so...J2, J3, J4 and so on. I finally got to the first marker (starting point was now my ending point - J17). Now I had 17 waypoint saved ... from J1 through J17. I went to the main menu and entered into routes. At the bottom of the screen it shows New, highlight/click . A black box is highlighted, push enter, highlight/click Waypoints. Then highlight/click Nearest. It will show all the (J1 throgh J17) waypoints. Highlight and click J1, and the waypoint screen shows up, click OK. It goes back to the route screen, with a black box with J1 highlighted and a dotted line just below it. Scroll down to the dotted line, highlight/click it. Click on Waypoints, then Nearest. The list of J1 thru J17 shows back up. Scroll down til J2 is highlight/click on it. Agin the waypoint screen shows up, click OK. It goes back to the routes screen, with a black box with J2 highlighted and a dotted line just below it. Scroll down to the dotted line, highlight/click it. Click on Waypoints, then Nearest. The list of J1 thru J17 shows back up. Scroll down and highlight/click on J3. REPEAT UNTIL ALL 17 WAYPOINTS ARE IN ORDER IN YOUR ROUTE SCREEN.
    Now go to the very top of the route screen and you will see a box just under the routes screen title name called J1-J17, highlight/click on it. Here is where you name the route whatever you want to call it, I call mine EF OAKS, because it has oak trees along the shore of East Fork Lake. Name it then click OK. Now a box at the bottom of the screen says Navigate, highlight/click and your set. Now go to main menu, scroll to routes, scroll down and highlight/click your named route. Top right corner has a X, to the left is a sub-menu, highlight/click. Scroll to reverse route, highlight/click. Now exit back out to the Navigation screen. Just troll along the arrow at the speed you want until you reach the end. At the end of the route, go to main menu, scroll to routes, scroll down and highlight/click your named route. Top right corner has a X, to the left is a sub-menu, highlight/click. Scroll to reverse route, highlight/click. Now exit back out to the Navigation screen and head back in the opposite direction. Add as many waypoints to your route as you want. You can mark depths along a shoreline or a reef in open water. GOOD LUCK.