close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Nov 22, 2007.

1. I am trying to get my wife to buy me one of those car navigation GPS units tomorrow. They are normally around $250, but are going for around $129 at most stores. I'm specifically looking at the Tom Tom One 3rd edition. I know how they help you get places, but my question is, if I am at a new location (for instance I end up at a good fishing hole and don't really know how I got there), will this type of system allow me to calculate the GPS coordinates? I can't seem to find it on the specifications anywhere. Thanks in advance.

2. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

Wouldn't that be the same thing as marking a way point. ...I don't have one, but I would say that would be one of the features. Salesperson would know.

I was thinking the same thing for the wife :)

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

The MIO C220 is an excellent buy. I'm sure you'll find it on sale somewhere.
    It has the up-to date maps and the latest Starfire chipset. The one's you'll see lowballed this weekend will most likely have the older chipset and map.

Mio's map updates are reported to be very reasonably priced.

4. Most of the newer models can. One with a PC interface is better (I use garmin) since I can save the current location as a waypoint, marked as an abbreviation, then upload them to my computer. Afterward, I'll extend on the name/notes and download them to that and other GPS units. I have many spots in western Wisconsin set up this way. Takes the guesswork out of jumping from stream to stream.

5. I'm gettig one for my 16 year old daughter. She has no clue how to get anywhere.

6. My wtfe has the Tom Tom One 3rd edition and as best I know it dies not produce GPS coordinates.