close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ltfd596, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I am sure this question has been asked before... but what should I be looking for in a GPS? I don't need anything real "fancy", but I would like a little more than just the basics.

I am sure many of you have/use them... which one would you recomend? What features would I need for say hunting, fishing (lake Erie)...... ??????

How much should I expect to spend?

2. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

I have the Magellan Meridian color screen portable. Got it off of Ebay. I think ya can't go wrong with this one. You can load SD cards into it with different state maps and never run outta room, just get another card. The color screen is easy to see. Check out one if you get a chance. It beeps when you get close to a turn to let you know one is comming up. It is water-proof too, a must have for fishing and hunting.

Gene

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I had a handheld and it was no good on lake Erie because the screens are to small on hand helds. You can't see the screen bouncing acroos the lake. I sold it and got a Garmin 162 internal antenna and absolutly love it. It has a cigarette lighter plug in so you can take it in your car if you want to. Just my 2 cents.

4. culprit

culprit Culprit

I have to agree with Orlando about the handhelds on Erie.Real hard to see bouncing across the lake.I personally have a Garmin 276C,which put me way over what I was going to originally spend.But it's an awesome unit for both car & boat.But if your looking to use one for hunting the larger units may not be practical.

5. I don’t know about Erie, but for hunting I would suggest looking at the Garmin Rino 130. It is a mapping GPS with a built in two-way radio/NOAA radio. I’ve been using it since early spring with an added topo map, and have been very happy with its performance. The really cool feature is the ability to poll other Rino users (their position is transmitted to your unit).

6. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I have a meridian color as well, if you get one make sure you get the Direct Route software. The maps are much better then the previous versions, just about any sd card will work with it. I bought some from walmart and I can store quite a few state on each one.

As far as seeing on lake Erie, they are probably right but that is the trade off. I am sure it is not completly useless on Erie, I know I have used a merdian on Erie before and it got us where we wanted to go and marked drift patterns for us just fine. It is just easier to see the larger screen when you are going full throttle.

I use my merdian a lot in the car anymore scouting new areas to fish. It really does come in very handy, I have been driving at night before on a country road and had the thing beeping at me telling me to turn now with the foot countdown till when I was suppose to turn. I did not see the turn off at all until was right on top of it, if someone was to have given me directions I would of missed this turn all together.

I like the meridian for portability, I have the color now because I got a great deal on it on Ebay. My friend uses a Platinum and it was great as well, I have heard some people comment it is easier to read the non color screens then the color screens in daylight, they are probably right. If you want this just for a boat and money is no object the larger ones are the way to go. If you want to use it in the car, hiking, etc as well as on the boat then a portable one like the Meridian's are nice.

7. I have a Lowrance GlobalMap 3200 and I really like it. You can load the Navionics(www.navionics.com) maps into it which provide more detail when fishing. It stores a ton of information and has quite a bit of software you can get for it.

8. Are you looking for a GPS to use both fishing and huinting plus other outdoor activities. If so, ypu should get a handheld. A handheld shouldn't be a problem in viewing on a boat console if you purchase a mount that allows you to position it properly. I have not had a problem viewing mine in rough sea's or at night.
    I have a Garmin GPS12 handheld that I have used on Erie for for several years. What I like is the fine trac line it draws rather than the heavier line some of the less costly units draw. If I were purchasing a new one it would be the Garmin Rhino as the 12 is no longer made.
    If all you need the GPS for is fishing and your boat is large enough to warrant a permanent mount then go for the larger units provided you need and will use the various options the larger model will offer. The console on my 18 foot Lund would be crowded or my viewing area compromised with a larger unit.
    A very good friend of mine has a Garmin E-Trex handheld which serves him well and he simply keeps it in his shirt pocket.
    Take the time to re-examine you needs and select a unit that is not more than you need.

9. I probably have the most unusual setup.
    Free because I already have DeLorme Road Atlas with earthmate GPS for my laptop.

I honestly believe I can return to any harbor by looking only at the computer screen, it is that accurate.

It took me many many hours but I have plotted reefs, buoys, lighthouses, shipwrecks etc.

The attached picture is my route record to Dempsey, Mazurik and Ottawa County launch sites.

Attached Files:

• map.jpg
      map.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  10. The relatively HUGE screen of a notebook is truly a luxury and makes for a great GPS. Most handheld units can also be attached to a notebook or PDA via a serial or blue tooth connection. I used a notebook and my handheld unit to view GPS data on an aerial photo map this spring at AEP. Too cumbersome to hike around the woods with, but great for finding ponds from the car. But, you can mark some waypoints, disconnect the handheld, and hike to the location. Now, if we can just get the military to give us access to real-time Aerial photo images, we can move locations based on watching fish bust shad a mile away on a different pond!