close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Would anybody have any suggestions for what manufacturer makes a GPS unit that is good for both marine and road maps? I'm not looking for the "cheapest" unit, I'm looking for a unit that can do both, and do both well. :)
    If you cant advise me as to which ones would be great, then please tell me if you have had any experience with a GPS unit that was just really really bad.
    Thanks for your help :)

Reel Lady (Marcia)

2. I have a Magellan SporTrak Pro and I love it. Lots of features and loads of memory. I used it to get back to the ramp last night. It's the only one I have any experience with.

3. I have the above and love it for both fishing and driving. I drive alot and use it all the time. On my unit I had to buy a MMC card and Mapcreate6. It gives all the small streets and alot of POI's Points Of Interest - Restaurants, rest stops, highway exits etc etc etc. I like mine so much I want to get the ifinder pro or h2o version. It has charting capability-but again you need to add hotspots or navionics maps. I may be selling mine shortly woth a 256 meg card loaded with a map that runs Milwaukee-New York-Orlando-New Orleans.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have the Magellan like Spike, and I haven't had any problems with it.

flash----------------------out

5. Fish2day

Fish2day member

And I don't leave port without it. I also use it for driving as it shows all the major highways and most state routes.

Only problem I ever had with it was last year when KSUFLASH "adjusted" it for me. :D :D :D :D :D

6. I have the Lowrance GlobalMap 3200 but only use it for fishing. I absolutely LOVE it and when fishing specific spots or you find a piece of structure, fog, night, etc its worth its weight in gold. I have the Navionics Hot Spots card( www.navionics.com ). While I don't put much faith in the hotspots, its still nice and very nice to get the more detail maps and breaklines of the body of water you are fishing.

The one thing I do know is that get one that has a real map and not just GPS numbers. For most people it takes all the technical stuff out of it and if you have detailed maps like Fishing Hot Spots from Navionics it works great!

I highly recommend the Lowrance units if your getting it for the boat. Pair that with a Navionics card and maybe the MapCreate 6 and you've spent some money but got a nice setup.

When you guys heading to WB next? I want to go tonight or within the next few nights for a few hours for some bass fishing .....

7. Reel Lady

Hi there Bill :)
    Rob and I were just there last night. Gosh... we are so bad when it comes to getting home at a decent time! We both agreed (before we even left home) that we would be back at the dock at 10:00pm. We launched at 3:30 and wouldnt you know it? We didnt get back to the dock until 1:00AM!!!!! This seems to be typical for us... It is just so darn hard to pull our poles out of the water because we just KNOW that the BIG one is going to bite any moment! lol
    So to answer your question "when are you guys heading out to West Branch again?"
    My reply is.... "WHEN ARE WE LEAVING???" :D

8. Is that the only place Rob and you go??! I'll just start calling you guys for the latest report! haha. Did you catch any yesterday?

How can you stay up that late when you got to work the next day?!! When I go during the week I am only out till 11pm or so at the latest(If I'm night fishing). I haven't been going that much because I always decide at the last minute to go and then none of my buddies can go at the last minute! So much for planning when you have a wife and 2 kids that have other plans. Luckily my wife is easy goin and she'll let me go play about anytime I want. She was even going to let me go last night after I fished all day long! I felt too guilty though and decided to stay home since I'd already fished all day at Mosquito.

Right now after returning from vacation, fishing, being at the BassMaster's Classic and having a good day on the water my brain is on "FISH". I need help. Right now I'm thinking that WB tonight for some smallmouth would be an order!

Is that "WHEN ARE WE LEAVING?" as in....what time would we get off the water.. .LOL, or What time are we going! hahaa... or perhaps both!?

9. Reel Lady

That would be a " WHEN ARE WE LEAVING?" lol
    And besides, I'd love to pick your brain when it comes to fishing for smallmouth.
    Believe it or not, I've yet to catch one, so it is definitely on my list. Along with a muskie (or 2) :D
    I've pretty much just been a Bass person, fishing only from the banks of small ponds. Now I have a boat, and have many more options. I feel that I have a pretty good hand on what they like/dont like, etc. But when it comes to small mouth, muskie, pike, walleye... I am definitely lacking knowledge and would love to learn from someone who has it. :)

10. I hear ya! It's always great to learn with and from others, that's what makes this site a great place. Heck, I learn something new everytime I go out. Can you guys make it to the lake around 7:30pm? If so, we can attempt to catch a couple bass...
    We can use my boat and I can show you guys my GPS and how it works if you want...

11. Reel Lady

Hi Bill,
    Wow... this could be a good thing! We are located between Mosquito and West Branch. Well, Mosquito may be a little bit closer actually (40 min.) and West Branch is more like 55 min.
    We have only been on Mosquito once, and only for a very short time (20 minutes) before a nasty storm came in. :(
    Which in your opinion would offer us a better chance in the "catching fish" department?

12. I've never went fishing at night at Mosquito but do well there in tournies and fun fishing. Mosquito would walk all over West Branch under normal circumstances for Bass Fishing both in quality and quantity.

I can't go fishing at Mosquito tonight and i've gotta double check with the wife about tonight at WB. It shouldn't be a problem and it sure is a pretty day out. Seeing how the last 2 days have been very nice weather it could be good fishing right at dusk.

Hopefully the fish agree with these plans. :)

Send me a PM with contact info in case something comes up. I'll do the same. If tonight isn't convenient we can try for another night. Just looking at the weather though it looks good tonight and questionable starting tomorrow...