close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS module mounting location

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by DrChip, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Just got an Eagle FishElite 480 fishfinder, and it includes a GPS module. The instructions say to mount the module on a flat surface on the boat, and with a clear sky view. It points out that even the fisherman can block the signal (moreso depending on how many bags of beef jerky he eats on the average trip, I guess).

My boat is a Tracker 17' aluminum boat. It sits low, and there is nothing high on the boat. Seems I could mount the module in two places -- on the transom near the vents or on the bow near the trolling motor. In either case there will be some blocking -- me fishing up front, or the motor (and maybe a buddy) in the rear. And, I suppose there might be problems of electrical interference from the motor, too.

Anyone else installed one of these? Any advice on a good mounting location? They also have the option of mounting the module on a post like a stern light, but I'd hate to have that sticking up to get in the way of fighting a fish...

Thanks in advance,

Chip

2. The place where they mount those GPS modules are a little forward of the mid-ship on the left or right gunnels. You just have to see if there is enough room and make sure you have no horns or sun tops blocking it...JIM

3. Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, the gunnels aren't quite as wide as the GPS module itself. So, I couldn't mount it as firmly as I'd like there, and it would be in a position that is likely to get knocked around a bit -- when I'm tied to dock, getting in and out of the boat, etc. If it helps, here's a link to a picture of the boat:

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2589&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Given this, would you still think that the gunnels would be the best location?

4. I would either mount it on the deck in the corner directly below your antenna or I would make an angled mounting block to mount just below the antenna on the front of the console. If your dashboard is flat, and you have room, it would probably work there also. You can lay it in different places to test reception before you drill any holes.

5. You might want to look into the RAM mounts. They have a smaller footprint and will allow you to be able to swivel your GPS around from front to back. This will give you some added flexibility depending on where your standing/fishing.

My RAM mount used with my GPS is circle shaped where it mounts to boat and is about 2 1/2" in diameter. It then has an arm about 3" long so it allows the GPS to be raised a bit and movable.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

6. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I highly recommend the Ram Mount TritonBill suggested. It is very easy to use and it will allow you to view just about anywhere you are fishing on your boat. I have mine mounted on top of the console above the steering wheel and beside my fishfinder. I have Ram Mounts for both units.

:)

7. Tee and Triton-Bill, yes, I'm planning on getting a Ram mount for the fishfinder (that is, combined fishfinder/GPS) -- but you're suggesting using a Ram mount for the GPS module (by that I mean the GPS antenna) too?

Ken, I never thought of mounting the GPS module on the console itself. The dashboard isn't flat, but I could rig something near the antenna like you suggested -- in fact, maybe a Ram mount!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Chip

8. Hey Drchip, the way your boat looks the best spot to mount it would be that nice open spot below your wind shield on the front of the console. I think West Marine might have a mounting block that will take up that angle so the module mounts nice and straight ...JIM

9. Thanks again to all who responded. I'll give West Marine a shot...

Chip

10. I found the best way is to just use velcro behind the windshield. Works great and easy to remove for use in my truck.

11. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

Went through this same dilema last fall when i purchased a new Matrix67 . . . don't know that i found the perfect spot . .. but mounted mine just in front of the windshield on my fish n ski . . .haven't had any issues. . .. I would think that if you could level it up in front of your console that you would be good to go as well . . .. not to mention I like the velcro thing. . . nothing like taking a test ride before making things permanent .. . .