close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS? Garmin Rino 130

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I’ve been researching GPS receivers, and I’ve narrowed it down to a few. Has anyone used a Garmin rino? Their big selling point is the combination 2-way radio, NOAA radio, and GPS receiver. Space is at a premium in a kayak, and one unit that combines three is very attractive to me. The ability to track/be tracked by other users is nice, but I doubt that I will be able to use that function very often (I don’t know any other users). Anyway, my major concern with the unit is the small display size. I have never actually used a GPS receiver outside of looking at them at BPS, and I don’t know how the small display size will impact use with topo maps. Even the handhelds with the largest display size are not much larger, but I don’t have any experience to how much difference an inch will make. It is my understanding that large displays are important when using the GPS for car travel, but I will be using this unit solely for fishing. Any input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

2. I would think that you would want to carry a paper topo map in addition to a GPS. Folded up, a map won't take up much space. Depending on the scale of the paper map, you can take your current GPS coordinates (location) and see where you are on the paper map and thus see "the whole picture". You can easily waterproof a map with clear packing tape.