Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the Southwest area of Lake Nipissing in a couple weeks. I'm trying to decide on a GPS unit (probably hand-held) and a chip that will give me good imagery of the area around Sandy Island.
Appreciate any recommendations.

WPM

·
Registered
55 Posts
if you are going to explore Nipissing very much you should have a GPS.it is easy to get lost on that lake.weather changes fast and when the fog closes in .it gets a little scary.many places look the same on the lake

·
The Economical Bass Fisherman
365 Posts
Like snow top said, this lake is huge. I would stick around the islands and go to the french river mouth and fish in there. You should catch enough fish right there. My mother-in-law who lives on Lake Nosbonsing about 20 minutes from East Nippissing by Callender (which I really like to fish) always hit the French River mouth for her fish.

·
Registered
481 Posts
×2 for the French River mouth. Hit it for the first time last year and did very very good in the riverNipissing is a mammoth and storms whip up quick.
I'm headed there tomorrow. We stay near callander near glen echo cottages.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from Nipissing and the GPS I got worked very well.
I bought a Garmin GPS-Map 78 and the g2 chip for US & Western Canada (nice price on sale at West Marine).
The coverage is a little strange - it cut off the north coast of the lake - but the French River area had almost perfect detail of even the smallest features. I could save multiple tracks and bring them up or hide them as needed. Here's a pic of crossing an area of rocks and shoals in a super dense fog - I simply wouldn't have tried it otherwise. Would have had to wait several hours for the burn-off and lost most of a morning.
WPM

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts