close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS/Depth finder

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jaredj, Aug 3, 2004.

1. What would be a good combo? Or would I be better off getting a handheld GPS and keeping my current hummingbird depth finder? Would also like to have detailed maps of lakes and water structures.

2. A lot of it depends on how much you are willing to spend. It also depends on where you have room to install it and how much room. On some of the newer boats it can be hard to fit different units, on simple boats you can install it anywhere you like.

I myself prefer to have the fishfinder/gps combo unit and really like the Lowrance Unit. I'd either go with a Lowrance unit or a Garmin unit. Both integrate well with the Navionics Hot Spots maps(Garmin may use a diff company but same capabilities roughly).

There is a store on the web that will help you out and actually has very decent prices. I've called them numerous times for questions on electronics and they are pretty helpful. The website is: www.threeriversmarine.com .

A great mid level prices GPS/Fish Finder is the
    http://www.threeriversmarine.com/LowranceLMS-480M.htm , I think Blance ( fellow OGF'er has this and I've seen it and really like it ).

A decent unit made by Garmin is the:
    http://www.threeriversmarine.com/TRM010-00199-00.htm

A really kickbutt unit but expensive is:
    http://www.threeriversmarine.com/LowranceLCX-15MT-3.htm , I have a friend that has this unit and the detail is awesome.

I really like the Lowrance unit and for the money I think its quite a bit better, bet some people have a manufacturer's preference.

If these units are too expensive just browse their website to get ideas and if you have questions i'm sure someone here can answer them.

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Most all the fishing electronics manufacturers make good units. I recommend Garmin to customers but I have heard of some problems with their units lately. Personally I have had no trouble with them and will continue to use them. As far as detailed lake maps you can forget it, lol. Just having the electronics and mapping software can't provide a detailed contour map unless there have been up-to-date hydrographic surveys on the waters. The maps of Ohio inland lakes that are used by the software manufacturers were provided by the ODNR and some are as far out of date as 50 years or more. As an example; Lakemaster markets software with maps of 51 Ohio inland lakes. The Piedmont map is based on one that was discontinued by the ODNR in 1952. It shows the roadbed near the dam as three separate humps, surrounded by deep water. Army Corps of Engineers maps are more detailed but show only what WERE the contours when the lakes were flooded. As far as I know, there has been no software developed based on these AC of E maps. Siltation has made huge changes to depths and covered much of the original structure. On some of the MWCD flood control lakes that info is 70 years old or better. The situation on some State lakes is even worse. Guilford, for example, was dug (BY HAND!!) beginning in 1825!!!! Waters like Erie are always well mapped due to their heavy commercial use for shipping.