Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Wanted to let you know that the Kirwan Dam Visitor Center and the Outflow parking lots off of Wayland Rd. are closed due to the gov't shutdown. You can still fish the dam and/or the outflow, you just can't park in the lots. Please do not park along the roadway, in front of the barriers, and definitely not in front of the dam gate.

All State Park areas at West Branch are open and not affected by the shutdown.

Thanks and Fish Safe.

RangerJulie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it really costing anyone anything to park there? I find it ridiculous that all these unmanned places are closed because of this shutdown. Expesially the national parks since you have to pay to get in. Lol I'm not getting on the guys original post I'm glad he let people know to save them some trouble, it just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I dont recall a gate being down by the parking lot by the river for the long walk to the outflow. Or are the only gates by the lot further south? At W.B. on Wayland.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
This post can be used to report fishing access closures as was the intent of the original post, but please avoid making this a politcal discussion.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For anyone interested I just got off the phone with Maumee Bay State Park and they will remain open.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Like Ranger Julie said at the end of her post. State parks won't be closed. Only the access areas for Corps of Engineers grounds. Dams and spillways that are under Corps jurisdiction.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Is it really costing anyone anything to park there? I find it ridiculous that all these unmanned places are closed because of this shutdown. Expesially the national parks since you have to pay to get in. Lol I'm not getting on the guys original post I'm glad he let people know to save them some trouble, it just doesn't make sense.
Canoerower, the "he" you refer to is a "she", and she happens to be a terrific friend to many on this site. You ask, " is it really costing anyone anything" without considering that your insensitivity/ignorance may have overlooked the fact that the shutdown may be costing her her way of living right now.

Maybe a "thank you" was more in order, as she regularly provides very helpful information to the anglers on OGF.

Rangerjulie...thank you! :) Hopefully this is short lived and is NOT having a negative personal impact on you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canoerower,

It's a matter of public safety. The places may be "unmanned" but are maintained by the government. The government is responsible to maintain its recreation facilities for the safety of the public by law. If people are furloughed and unable to properly maintain a facility, it must be closed down.

RangerJulie

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Canoerower, the "he" you refer to is a "she", and she happens to be a terrific friend to many on this site. You ask, " is it really costing anyone anything" without considering that your insensitivity/ignorance may have overlooked the fact that the shutdown may be costing her her way of living right now.

Maybe a "thank you" was more in order, as she regularly provides very helpful information to the anglers on OGF.

Rangerjulie...thank you! :) Hopefully this is short lived and is NOT having a negative personal impact on you.
Thanks Heidlers. Hanging in there.

RJ

·
Registered
921 Posts
FYI - I fished the State Park Lake Milton on Tuesday (1st day of "shutdown") with no problems. Hopefully they won't barrycade the ramps like they did the WWII Memorial. War heros like to fish too ya know!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks Ranger Julie. You are a very good friend and a big help to us all. I met you in May when we had the OGF outing. If you need any help we are here for you. We help our friends.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Access to Paint Creek Lake Spillway is closed as well. Just spoke to USACE and they said all access to damn or spillway areas is shut down.

·
Registered
214 Posts
like stated above, STATE PARKS are not affected, they are run by the state of ohio not the federal govt.
just wondering if this is going to turn into a report of which state parks are open

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I went to Deer Creek STATE PARK last night for an hr or so of fishing the lake from bank.All 3 entrances to spillway were gated and barricaded off.Yet the road back to the beach and picnic areas was open.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
921 Posts
Chevy, even though there may a State Park at a particular lake, it does not mean there are no closures at that same lake.

I understand anything that has to do with the Army Corp of Engineers is on shutdown, which include most of our local dams and the infrastructures that surround them, including spillways and boat launches if they happen to be located behind a USACE gate.

I personally appreciate any updates I may read about local launches. Nothing worse than dragging the boat 45 minutes to find a locked gate.

·
5,997 Posts
All state parks aren't on state land. Federal eases them rights to entertainment such as boating, fishing or camping. Like at Berlin. Corp of engineer's control the lake. And state rules are followed with in their guide lines. So yes its possible for state parks to be included.
Berlin is corp lake but the state runs their campground their. At Conneaut I was allowed CCC on marina property. But if your out on the break walls Corp says no way.
This closure isn't as gut and dry as some think. But like every other time it too will pass.

And Ranger Julie. Never meant any thing negative or political. If taken that way you have my apology's. Always like and appreciate you posts! Some times its just an old geysers rant. LOL!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.