Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/governor-john-kasich-signs-boater-freedom-act

Posted on the ODNR site July 10.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Rex Damschroder (Fremont) , which went into effect with the Governor’s signature, establishes that a state or local law enforcement officer will no longer have the authority to stop or board a vessel to conduct a safety inspection unless: the owner or operator voluntarily requests such an inspection; there is reasonable suspicion the vessel, its equipment or its operator is in violation of watercraft or local law; or the boat is being inspected as part of an authorized checkpoint.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didnt mind geting stoped never have anything to hide and always had saftey equipment on hand, their just making it easier and easier for rule breakers, hunting stuff online and now this great. Their goes the lakes and the woods!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winchester, I don't think inspections at the ramp are going away. That's where most safety inspections take place.

The few times I've been boarded on the water I found it to be a hassle. They always seemed to pick the choppiest days when waves start coming over your transom as you hold onto the side of their boat with a death grip to keep from getting swamped.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To bad this law will not change a thing with uscg.Looks like state law only.Although state law should trump fed law in most cases.Thats another story.

Don't need my tax money wasted on how to protect myself.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I seek them out for a current safety inspection sticker(spring time)....nothing to hide on my part....but usually at the ramp so I am not disturbed on the water when there is a hot bite

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
i can see both sides, if i was in danger id like to know, however i like that they cant stop and inspect you, like i have been done to a few times during tournaments... if i can simply refuse and keep fishin...not loose 20-30 minutes tearing everything out of my boat...

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
i can see both sides, if i was in danger id like to know, however i like that they cant stop and inspect you, like i have been done to a few times during tournaments... if i can simply refuse and keep fishin...not loose 20-30 minutes tearing everything out of my boat...

If there's a tournament going on I have always been asked by them if am fishing it. Twice I was. They asked what tournament ? Whens check in ? and from a distance. They went on there way and said catch up with you another time. Which I thought was the norm. Guess I had some extra cool ones on Berlin

Now when I see them I pull them over and get it done ASAP every year.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm glad to see this. In the Portsmouth area of the Ohio River it was almost an every trip occurrence, some days multiple times by different agencies (Coast Guard, County Sheriff, ODNR Watercraft, ODNR Watercraft by far being the worst). I've witnessed boat traffic slow and marinas shrink because of the harassment. I personally have been searched many times while fishing gravel bars in the main channel, I feel as if I was an easy target because of me holding my position. Each time I was harmlessly casting cranks, not recklessly blowing by anchored boats. I'm glad to see some oversight regarding our civil rights to enjoy our natural resources without impediment.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
don m
1,014 Posts
Every spring before our boat hits any water we call our local CG AUX and get our boat inspected and the approved sticker, next to the "WEAR-IT"one, put on the left side of the console. If we do get stopped its only for a short time for them to chat a min or look at our pfd fanniepacks. A quick chat and a smile helps speed things up so we can get back to fishing. Oh and a thank you to them for what they are doing goes a long way. Its a small world out there and they seem to be able to remember everyone they stop.
Cant say we have ever had a bad experience with any of those guys whether we were doing a tourni or not. Quite a few of them even have dog treats for those of us with the 4 legged furry fishing buddies. Rocky sure did like seeing the older deputy on portage and he would stop us to see Rocky every time we saw him. A real nice guy. I dont know how many times I've seen jet bozzos running full throttle with no pfd or emergency stop lanyard. Is it no brains or just a lot of guts? I never do mind being stopped on or off the water they're just doing a job.
TJMTCW
donm

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I have had experiences with Ohio's authorities that were not that bad. They are always polite and courteous with me. They are doing what I consider a fairly important job.

I am glad that the new regulation was passed but I think our Ohio guys are decent people and try to do a good job.

Once on Piedmont, while Muskie fishing, I had an officer pull up beside me and ask, "Do you mind if I do a quick safety inspection?"

I respectfully replied, "Actually, the sun will be down in about 45 minutes, and we' d miss some prime casting, so I'd really rather not."

He politely responded with, "Okay, maybe I'll try again another time." And with that he pulled away and continued his patrol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts